Thread: Graded Region, Excavation and Construction

Login to Give a bone

Default Graded Region, Excavation and Construction

I am in the process of tracking a construction site via a Revit model. The site is relatively small and flat, 50x50m, overall grade difference of approximately 1m. I would like to grade the site to follow the ongoing excavation. There are only four elevation points available, one on each corner of the site. When I use 'grade region' to insert new points, about 5m below surface level, the whole site becomes a gradual grade, whereas it is actually a steep drop along the property line.

What is the best practice to achieve the exact excavation in order to schedule accurate cut/fill values?

D.Qattan
    architect

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Graded Region, Excavation and Construction

I don't think you have much option but to add a bunch of grade elevations along the property line to tell Revit what you want. I don't use the topo tools on my projects because they are too limited.

When you re-grade a site it will re-grade across property lines and retaining walls like they are not even there. Autodesk needs to provide some enhancements in these areas.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dqattan View Post
    I am in the process of tracking a construction site via a Revit model. The site is relatively small and flat, 50x50m, overall grade difference of approximately 1m. I would like to grade the site to follow the ongoing excavation. There are only four elevation points available, one on each corner of the site. When I use 'grade region' to insert new points, about 5m below surface level, the whole site becomes a gradual grade, whereas it is actually a steep drop along the property line.

What is the best practice to achieve the exact excavation in order to schedule accurate cut/fill values?

D.Qattan
    architect
    If it´s a steep drop (vertical) you could use a Pad maybe...
    Last edited by Munkholm; 2011-01-10 at 08:08 PM.

Login to Give a bone

The pad is an option, though the site has multiple levels of depression. It would be good to see the site as is, without adding extraneous elements. The pad would be blinding (for example) which, of course, comes later.

Putting a bunch of level point seems extremely laborious, easier to go out there and dig

Thank you for the input.

D.Qattan
    architect