Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any "filled region" resolution?

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Any "filled region" resolution?

I am wondering if there has been any progress on the filled region issue [original post by MrSpot on Nov 2nd]. Our Revit V.7 disc just came in the mail, and I don't want to upgrade, unless I know that this huge glitch has been resolved.

Modeling is great, but if, in a pinch, you cannot cover up a glitch it renders the program useless for ConDocs.

[Mostly this is a question and not a complaint]

-mikefields-

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Any "filled region" resolution?

On the advice from somebody, I use Filled Region with solid fill set to 254,254,254 rather than 255,255,255. The difference in print (between "White" and this slightly darker "White") is none, but it covers my unwanted areas perfectly, without turning in print to black (as it happens with "pure" 255,255,255 White).

Speaking of Filled Regions, I will post a different question (problem) on the Forum right after I finish this.

Jerry

All AUGI, all the time Gadget Man's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Any "filled region" resolution?

I've got some problems with Filled Regions, I think that the following example will describe it the best:

When I use several different Filled Regions ("Earth", "Sand", "Concrete", etc.) while detailing the section in the Section view, all works just fine. Then I insert this View into the Sheet and add some adnotations (still on the sheet). The adnotations that are positioned partially or fully over Filled Region (including their arrows) disappear UNDER (!!!) those Regions (partially or fully - respectively). I tried even to send the Filled Regions all the way "to back" - "behind" other objects, but that didn't help. And funny thing is, that while the parts (or whole) of the adnotations don't show on the screen, the still print correctly over the fills... until I use two or more Regions (one partially on the top of the other - overlaping). Then the adnotations not only don't show on the screen, they don't print either (or their "covered" parts...)

What puzzles me the most is, that while Regions are parts of a View (ACAD "model space"), the adnotations are on the Sheet ("paper space"), so why they should be affected?

Any ideas?

Puzzled Jerry.

Login to Give a bone

Jerry,

If you place the annotation in the view, not on the sheet view, they will show correct visibility.

Filled regions placed on a sheet view, will obscure any elements in the sheet view ( annotations or titleblock ).

This is the same problem mentioned in the previous thread, so I'm going to merge these threads.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mikefields27
    I am wondering if there has been any progress on the filled region issue .................I don't want to upgrade, unless I know that this huge glitch has been resolved.
    -mikefields-
    Mike, the problem mentioned in Mr. Spot's thread, ( White Fill Regions in 7.0, can obscure parts of the title block), is still there. In most cases it can be overcome by judicious positioning of the crop border. It becomes a problem only if you are attempting to hide something like a radial dimension that runs off the sheet view.
    Last edited by beegee; 2005-01-04 at 12:56 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, BeeGee.

That was the issue I was referring to. I think I may hold off until 7.1 because this fundementally interferes with our conception of workarounds in Revit. Not sure how one would do detailing without modelling everything if we can't put anything ontop of a fill...? 6.1 Is still an impressive tool. I will try not to blame this on Autodesk.

Oh well.

Login to Give a bone

You can still place a fill to hide elements in a view without a problem. You can place annotations over that fill. You just need to be careful that the filled region does not overlap your title block, when you place the detail view on your sheet, that's all. Thats usually not a problem to do anyway, using crop regions. If you have a copy of 7.0, I suggest you give it a try. There are so many good things in 7.0 that you'll miss otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefields27
    >>>. Not sure how one would do detailing without modelling everything if we can't put anything ontop of a fill...? .

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jetisart
    I've got some problems with Filled Regions, I think that the following example will describe it the best:

When I use several different Filled Regions ("Earth", "Sand", "Concrete", etc.) while detailing the section in the Section view, all works just fine. Then I insert this View into the Sheet and add some adnotations (still on the sheet). The adnotations that are positioned partially or fully over Filled Region (including their arrows) disappear UNDER (!!!) those Regions (partially or fully - respectively). I tried even to send the Filled Regions all the way "to back" - "behind" other objects, but that didn't help. And funny thing is, that while the parts (or whole) of the adnotations don't show on the screen, the still print correctly over the fills... until I use two or more Regions (one partially on the top of the other - overlaping). Then the adnotations not only don't show on the screen, they don't print either (or their "covered" parts...)

What puzzles me the most is, that while Regions are parts of a View (ACAD "model space"), the adnotations are on the Sheet ("paper space"), so why they should be affected?

Any ideas?

Puzzled Jerry.
    I'm not sure I understand the purpose of putting the notes on the sheet rather than in the view.

Login to Give a bone

It might be a throwback from regular acad? So the text is drawing specific?

Old habits die hard...

Login to Give a bone

A good reason to put notes [not dimensions] on the sheet is so that one can work on the model, unencumbered. It beats having to turn the notes off and on when working in a view. Granted you need to check the sheet to make sure the arrows all point where they should before printing, but it is a matter of where you want to put your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast