Thread: Electrical Family Constraint issue effecting elevation

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Electrical Family Constraint issue effecting elevation

I am still fairly new to Revit and have been visitng this site often Not sure if this is family issue or project setting so I have posted in (2) areas.

My issue revolves around a family of panels that I have edited. I added the connector and entered the values. I tested the panel in a blank project and everything works great.

The issue is when I try to do the same thing in the current project my compnay is working on. Every panel board I enter comes in at 4'-0" no matter what the mounting height value I used in Family Editor. The question is where in the project or what setting dictates the elevation of ALL panels coming in at 4'-0". Or a beter question is what setting did I foul up?

Please see the attacments

Issue 1 is part of the company project. 4'-0" constraint is not what I want. Outside of project the panel comes in at the right elevation as specified in family editor.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Electrical Family Constraint issue effecting elevation

Ok. There is a problem. I have a much better idea of whats going and why. Everything that was suggested works in ANY other project, BUT the one the company is working on. This project is the very reason I am making the panels in the first place. I moved my origin for the panel at the top of the panel so all measurements for elevation are measured from top. It works beautiful in ALL other projects but the one I need. I was able to edit the default elevation constraint from 4'-0" to 6'-6" within the Family Editor as suggested by asommer. Why on earth would the instance of the panel I inserted into the project, when highlighted say 4'-0" in properties. If I highlight the panel in the project browser and look at properties (greyed out), the default elevation constraint says 6'-6". Where is that 4'-0" coming from??

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? Its leading me back to the idea that it must be a project setting if it works in all projects but one. Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by rmccarty; 2011-01-26 at 05:21 PM.

Login to Give a bone

It sounds like a problem I read about where certain instance parameters take on the value of the instance parameters of previously placed families. In which case if you had previously placed a difference device who's default elevation is 4', that is stored and assumed to be what you want for all devices etc.

Check out this blog post from Erik @ Inside the Factory "Palette and Element Creation". Hopefully his solution will solve your problem.

Login to Give a bone

That article explains exactly what I am going through. Unfortunately it didnt solve my issue. I sent the author of that article an email in the hopes that maybe I missed a step. Thanks for finding that. I would have never found that tjrough a word search on the internet.

Login to Give a bone

I haven't really tried out his solution myself, instead on the families we were having that issue with I changed the parameter to be type instead of instance. Which solved the default override issue. Though that doesn't help you with a built in parameter such as elevation.

But I'd be interested to hear what Erik responds for the next time we face that issue.