Thread: Revit MEP Workshop Construction Drawings

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit MEP Workshop Construction Drawings

HI
    I would be greatly interested in any examples of workshop drawings that have been produced with revit MEP. im currnetly looking at available options and would appreciate any feedback from people using revit MEP for construction documents (Mechanical bias)
    cheers
    Rustific

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit MEP Workshop Construction Drawings

Add on- I would love to see some complex plumbing plan drawings that have been completed and passed check. I hear that this program is the future and Ive been working in it for a year, and plumbing is never up to par for my firm. Im re-evaluating it now, but I would like to see sheet set ups, and vertically stacked piping, etc.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stimmo520 View Post
    I hear that this program is the future .
    Who told you this? Autodesk?

The problem with Plumbing is that we are to produce a 2D set of CD's as your deliverable.
    Plumbing has always been schematic and it has been up to the contractor to route the piping as best by any means or measure.

So you ask, How is it possible to produce a fully coordinated a plumbing model that is readable on paper?
    Well...not easy.
    Bottom line is you can't, unless you want to spend 50 times the hours doing so.
    Modeling it how you would install it and than in plan view turn off all 3D elements and Detail line the intent.
    Until the model is the deliverable, this will be a possibility.

What you have to do is a little bit of both.
    Model the plumbing so it doesn't conflict and at the same time make the plan view readable.

I know, I know, why waste your time with conflict resolution if it really isn't going to be installed that way. Makes no sense, especially without pipe hangers and Electrical NEVER modeling conduits and wire. Also, Contractors are paying others to Re-model everything as shop drawings. Essentially we are getting the shop drawings close so that someone else just has to tweak it. Oh ya and we aren't getting the fee for that.

I have put out Numerous projects that have passed and have been built or in the process of Construction.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's possible. Here are a couple of examples of projects i am currently working on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your post, i was wondering you can help me with something. I've been using revit for structure and architecture at my office since 2005, and now we have the opportunity to start on MEP with it. We are asked to produce coordination drawings with high level of detail for MEP with the architecture and structure model we had already finished, and my question is, is revit mep sufficent for that or does autocad mep have what is needed for that higher level of detail (workshop drawings).
    Also if you have any tutorials around for revit mep and any sample project. thank you so much

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aminghali View Post
    is revit mep sufficient for that or does autocad mep have what is needed for that higher level of detail (workshop drawings).
    Also if you have any tutorials around for Revit mep and any sample project. thank you so much
    I do not have any sample projects. I would suggest getting sample projects and/or tutorials from Adesk found here.

Neither Revit or Acad MEP where intended softwares for shop drawings. Now, However I'm not saying that it can't be done. It has been done and some firms are using it. It will take hours upon hours for someone to set up you new families, parameters and formulas for MEP shop drawing results.

Connectors in Revit are on a face, so actual connections might have sockets or flanges or some type of overlap, so pipe/duct lengths aren't exact.
    There are many issues you'll run into.

Now that you have had the pleasure of using the easier Structural and Architectural versions, you soon are going to experience the pain that MEP has had to go through.

Good luck.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Mr. Broker,

Thnak you for your post. I have a Revit project that has gone out, but it was a a Science lab environemt, and the piping plans just didnt look right. Ever since, my firm has strayed away from Revit. Now its been a few months, and no Revit projects have come in since. They ended up turning in plumbing in all autocad, and I think that remains their plan unitl they feel comfortable with the plan view representation of the program. I will say Ive come close, but the prints are still off a bit, plus the time involved. I guess it also sucks becauseIma one man team at the moment against 20 other CAD users.