Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Data Shortcutting Profiles

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Shortcutting Profiles

I am very happy to hear that it is just me.

And thanks for doing what I have been too busy to fuss with.

Be glad to get any pointers you might have. This weekend I think I might start from scratch and see if I can get it to work correctly and what introduced the error, assuming it will duplicate.

Also I have it packaged if you want to fuss with it. I noticed I was not the only one with this issue so some deep analysis might help others if someone can pin down the cause. Either a dropbox (to mike.monical@comcast.net) or ftp would work.

Thanks again.

Mike

Login to Give a bone

Autodesk was able to sort out one solution to my issue.

It appears the existing Data Reference (Dref, Shortcut) was at fault. Removing the alignment Dref and all profiles (from the Dref definitions) and then recreating from the source drawing solved the problem and the Data Reference Profiles successfully referenced without creating a duplicate alignment definition. I had not tried that as I was concerned that removing the existing Drefs would break the link and all the links would have to be remapped. That was not the case and the existing alignment which was Dref'ed successfully sinc with the new Dref seamlessly.

It is worthy of note that since you cannot "send" the existing dref links anywhere, providing drawings to troubleshoot did not reveal the problem as the Drefs had to be recreated anyway which solved the problem. It was only by remoting in to my computer the Autodesk technician was able to see the issue and help me fix it (Thank you Tatiana). Note the underlying problem with the Data Reference was not resolved.

So AutoDesk gets the gold star on this one.

Mike

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Mike, I tried but could not reproduce your error; due to the condition you noted above.
    Actually it IS possible to send ones data shortcuts, they will need to be pathed to the location of the originating file(s) in the new folder(s) on the recieving end to 'fix' the broken links.
    Gold star...I think perhaps Bronze would be more in order.
    See actually she only found the error because she didn't fix the broken link, or didn't know how do do so. So she resorted to using remote desktop to 'solve' the problem.
    Either way glad that I could help and that you have the issue resolved.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

On a side note - Sending files with Data shortcuts. If you use eTransmit and make sure the folder structure remains "As Is" you will be able to keep the data shortcuts (there is an option for this in the Transmittal settups dialog)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I was having the same problem, I had promoted the alignments the profiles are associated with, thus making them independent in the drawing they were referenced into (unknown when I did it) and thus when I tried to reference the profiles they did not find the reference for the alignment and created new alignments.

Hope this helps another frustrated C3D user.

Now to tackle getting them in a profile view.

Jim Finley

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I am running into the same issue as has been described above. And the reason that there is need of having a profile created or added after the sheets have been created is what happened to me. Someone accidently (or intentionally) deleted the profile I needed, then created a corridor for the alignment and everything. Now there is no way at all to get that profile back--which needs to be targetted in the corridor. This is a flaw in the Autocad software. If a profile is attached to an alignment then when the alignment is dref'd so are all the profiles. Granted this adds a lot of data to the alignments, but it does allow the there to be workback. Now I will have to recreate the sample line group, recreate all the sheets, recreate everything all because one stupid--but essential--profile was deleted from the alignment in the corridor model which drefs the alignment...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jadon.lippincott809471 View Post
    I am running into the same issue as has been described above. And the reason that there is need of having a profile created or added after the sheets have been created is what happened to me. Someone accidently (or intentionally) deleted the profile I needed, then created a corridor for the alignment and everything. Now there is no way at all to get that profile back--which needs to be targetted in the corridor. This is a flaw in the Autocad software. If a profile is attached to an alignment then when the alignment is dref'd so are all the profiles. Granted this adds a lot of data to the alignments, but it does allow the there to be workback. Now I will have to recreate the sample line group, recreate all the sheets, recreate everything all because one stupid--but essential--profile was deleted from the alignment in the corridor model which drefs the alignment...
    If you're able to restore (from shadowcopy previous version in Explorer or IT backup), or simply recreate the needed Profile, consider the MANAGEDATASHORTCUTS Command to map existing DREFs to different versions (without duplicating all of your work).

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12