Thread: MapGuide Enterprise Vs MapGuide Open Source

Login to Give a bone

Default MapGuide Enterprise Vs MapGuide Open Source

Hi there everyone I'm a newbie who needs some help.
    My company is looking to do some work using AutoDesk MapGuide and we are not sure whether to use the Enterprise package or the Open source one. We're not overly concerned about the costs of the Enterprise package but are about the functionality particularly at the nitty gritty developers level. We've developed with various other mapping tools in the past e.g. Manifold, MapInfo and all have their particular quirks.
    We'd probably want to use a back end database such as SQL Server to store maps/datasets.

1. Has anyone came across any show stoppers or performance issues with either one?
    2. How quick do issues or bugs get turned around with the 2 editions?
    3. We have to digitise\draw points, line, polygons etc.
    4. Serve and view maps online.

Feel free to suggest or ask further questions if you would like.
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MapGuide Enterprise Vs MapGuide Open Source

I played around with open source a year or so ago. Out of the box, it works pretty well. At the time, I wasn't able to get it to do what I wanted (use google maps or VE as a layer). That might be built in by now. I haven't checke in a while. If it doesn't do what you want, you at least have the source code and the fellows on the mail list are very knowledgeable and helpful. I forget what the advantage of purchasing Ent is. Its a little more tested and refined, since it comes out after OS does. It also has an integrated project editor Whereas the OS uses an OS project editor.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Cheers Ed thanks for the info and much appreciated.
    I'm going to install them both and take a look what each offers but you dont really get a feel until you start developing with them and I'm still a bit away from that stage.
    Any other info from anyone would be great cheers.

Login to Give a bone

If you install them both make sure they are on different servers.
    As Ed said the Enterprise is the OS version that is released after the bugs are fix and is one version behind the OS one (at release time) With OS there may be two or more versions though out the year. The Enterprise version is supported by Autodesk so you can get support there with OS you can get the support from the mailing list. Just be friendly and thankful and the help will be there.
    Also the MGE uses and comes with MG Studio and can not be used with MGOS you need to use Maestro which also has different versions. FYI the OS team is mainly made up of Autodesk employees and consultants with a few other software delevopers.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Jmurphy