Thread: Surface pasting error

Login to Give a bone

Default Surface pasting error

I have a project with many surfaces and I need to create a composite surface for an overall volume calculation. I pasted many of the surfaces together to create the composite but three of the surfaces wouldn't paste into the composite and came back with an "unable to paste" surface error. When I tried to re-build the surface or delete it and re-create the surface and then paste i into the composite surface I get the same error. I can take those three surfaces and paste them together, but when I try to paste the composite to the other surface I get the same error. Any idea's?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Surface pasting error

Does the original surface totally encompass the surfaces you're trying to paste?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Master Level

Use points on autocad objects 3D faces
    and export fault lines, combine to single
    point and fault file that you import to build the
    over all composite model.

My guess as to the pasting failure may still cause the above method
    to also fail. You have a pair of intersecting break lines, it hates that.
    Use MAP >> Tools>>Drawing Cleanup to find and eliminate this crossing
    condition.

Login to Give a bone

Hi. Thanks for the response. The project I am working on is a site remediation project. It was once a housing tract built upon an oilfield tank battery and pumping station site. There were 30 some lots on the site and the whole site has been excavated to remove contaminated soil and then have remediated soil replaced. My portion of this project was to map the sites as they were excavated and generate volumes on a per lot basis. Many thousands of points and many surfaces, sometimes as many as 10 per lot. Now the client wants a total volume from an excavated surface to the proposed finished surface of the project. I only have 3 surfaces that won't cooperate. I have searched the surface boundaries to make sure there are no crossing lines, etc....

Login to Give a bone

Hi. Thanks for the response. The project I am working on is a site remediation project. It was once a housing tract built upon an oilfield tank battery and pumping station site. There were 30 some lots on the site and the whole site has been excavated to remove contaminated soil and then have remediated soil replaced. My portion of this project was to map the sites as they were excavated and generate volumes on a per lot basis. Many thousands of points and many surfaces, sometimes as many as 10 per lot. Now the client wants a total volume from an excavated surface to the proposed finished surface of the project. I only have 3 surfaces that won't cooperate. I have searched the surface boundaries to make sure there are no crossing lines, etc....Our basis came from an aerial map

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Looks like your best option is to put that data on a CD or two
    and ship it to me and I will composite it for you.

Login to Give a bone

I had a simular problem a couple of months ago, (see pasting surface, this forum). I believe there is a limit of (4) surfaces that can be pasted into a surface.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You may have a vertical face between the surfaces you are trying to paste together. This can give LDT major heartburn. In you surface statistics, what is the max slope? When you paste your surfaces, are you adding A into B to create C and then adding C into D to create E? Try rebuilding the composite surfaces and iterate through them before pasting into the next one.