Thread: Creating a Roof plan from a CAD File

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a Roof plan from a CAD File

I'm starting my first job using revit and the training I got was only off of using a 3-d revit files and the background I will be starting off of is a CAD file. So I'm trying to make a roof plan off of the 2-d background I was using and I don't need it in 3-d or anything just trying to make a view that only shows the outside walls and not all the interior lights,walls.etc

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a Roof plan from a CAD File

Quote Originally Posted by ecarterman842398 View Post
    I'm starting my first job using revit and the training I got was only off of using a 3-d revit files and the background I will be starting off of is a CAD file. So I'm trying to make a roof plan off of the 2-d background I was using and I don't need it in 3-d or anything just trying to make a view that only shows the outside walls and not all the interior lights,walls.etc
    I'm a trainer myself - really frustrates me that people don't teach this basic skill on the training courses - not everybody is fully BIM'ed up yet!

Anyway, its simple enough;

You need to IMPORT (part of file) or INSERT (Xref arrangement) the CAD (DWG) file by going to the INSERT tab and choosing the appropriate option. Note. Only when the import option is used can you control the display order of the DWG file.

Unless you want to see the DWG file in all views - which is not usually the case if you are using 2D DWG information - make sure you select CURRENT VIEW ONLY during insert.

At this point, you can start the ROOF BY FOOTPRINT tool, and use the PICK LINE (rather than drawing lines) to trace over the top of the file.

Alternatively, if completing an extrusion roof you can use the DWG information as a trace for your geometry.

I know you said it was 2D only, but its also worth noting that you can use 3D DWG information via the conceptual modeler to form faces for more complex face based roofs.

Hope this helps.