Thread: Which 3D software would you recommend?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Which 3D software would you recommend?

Hi guys,
    After long hours of searching for the perfect forum online, I finally came across your website!

Alil bit about myself, I'm an interior architect student, graduating this semester & currnently working on my final project. I have a good background in both Autocad & 3Ds max. But I also heard good things about Revit & Autodesk Design Suite 2011 for presentation.

At first I decided to create my 3D objects using Autocad Architecture, then exporting it to 3Ds Max for rendering using Vray.
    But recently people have been telling me that Revit is much better than Autocad when it comes to "detail". So I was thinking of making my objects on Cad, editing them on Revit, then finally rendering everything in Max (using Vray).

What do you think ? Because I honestly don't know the limits of Revit design. Will this process (Cad =>Revit =>Max) give great results?! or will I only be wasting my time?

Also, what's the best renderer/Lighting plug-in in your opinion?

This is an example of the result I'm aiming for:

http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/...l-21/5890/0/0/

Something very smooth, with nice lighting & materials.

Thank,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Which 3D software would you recommend?

I would not mess with acad to revit to max. Just learn revit. If you want to render images like the one you have posted, then you will to spend a lot of time learning lighting, material,tech. Revit gives you decent renderings but not as good as Max and Vray. It is more of a 3d modeling and documentaition tool, which could be used in max very well to do the high end renderings you want to do. It is not that hard to learn once you get the basic consepts. and there are tons of vedios online, youtuve exct. Revit has a lot of prebuilt architecture elements that can be modified and you will also be positioning yourself with a new skill set, as it seems BIM is becomeing the leader in the A&E firm. here is an image of detaild modeling you can do with all the mechanical and detaisl. good luck, there are tons of recourse out there, all you got to do is spend a good amount of time on it. Rendering on max and Vray is another monster and is seriously complicated but if you spend enought time on it anyone cand do it.....cheers.. and good luck. I hope you like to spend alot of time on the computer...haha...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by olakahahola; 2011-02-24 at 10:58 AM.

Login to Give a bone

I'm faster with CAD than Revit, that's why I want to draw the basic objects using cad.
    Is the learning curve steep?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Which 3D software would you recommend?

It is actually a really easy to learn. If you can model 3d elements in CAD then you should have no problems with revit. I would def say its alot easier than CAD. I myself havne't done much cad drafting, or 3d for a while, but i do know back in the day 3d cad was a pain. The easiest 3d modeling program out there has got to be sketch up right now. And it also has a Vray plugin for rendering, ( not as good as the Vray for max but not bad at all.)

Login to Give a bone

so from your experience, you find Revit better at making curved objects/objects with complicated details? Because I've been trying to work on Revit for a couple of days, and what I've found is that it's excellent at creating straight floorplans/3D buildings with doors, windows, etc. & my project will be a somewhat round building, with custom made furniture & design elements I'll be working on from scratch.
    I'll also need to make statues & dragon-like 3D elements that don't use straight lines at all.