I am CONSTANTLY getting complaints about AutoCAD performance at our office. I get users working on files over the LAN complaining that AutoCAD is RANDOMLY performing poorly, there is hesitation modifying objects with grips, hesitation when entering commands, the cursor skips all over the screen, etc... I am hoping to get some experienced input...

Our firm consists of 8 offices. We communicate over the WAN through riverbed steelheads. I do not think the WAN has anything to do with our problem. We have about 60 AutoCAD/AutoCAD MEP/Civil 3D users, 30 Revit users, and 30 MicroStation users. The majority of our project files are stored on a server in our main office. In addition to the AutoCAD, Revit, and MicroStation project files, the server is also used as a dumping ground for user and department files (of all sorts). Each of our offices has it's own server, which some regionally specific projects get stored. I would say ~80% of our project files get stored on the main office server. We have another server at the main office which we house our license managers. Another server at the main office houses the support files for the CAD programs.

I've spent weeks searching online for AutoCAD performance, I've tried everything I can that I've found, nothing makes a sure difference.

I was talking to a network guy (at another company) the other day, and he said there may just be too much traffic for one server to handle. Could this be the case? If so how do other firms break up where/how their project files are stored?

Even though we've had performance issues with AutoCAD 2008 products, AutoCAD 2011 products seem to be worse off.

Are my users just expecting too much from AutoCAD???

Thanks.