Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will I miss?

Login to Give a bone

Default What will I miss?

Short background: I haven't formally worked in an Architecture firm since March 2008. Been working a Facilities Management / Owner's Construction Team since then. I am a licensed architect. The last firm I worked in, I was using Autodesk Architecture 2007/2008(?). We used it pretty much as a 2D dwg program though. But, I really liked having the components to quickly build details. Where I am now, I have vanilla AutoCAD 2008. I don't use it too much though. Just enough to remember most commonly used commands, change/rework floor plans. Not drawing elevations or details.

Now, I've got the opportunity to start doing some side work. Have a couple residential clients lined up. Was thinking of purchasing AutoCAD LT 2012. I know it has limited capabilites when compared to AutoCAD and Architecture. But, would like to get a better read than just the standard feature comparison chart on Autodesk's website.

So, what will I be missing? What will frustrate me the most about LT? What will pleasantly surprise me? What do I not know about LT that I need to quickly discover and will help me to use it as a better tool than I think it is? Or, would I be better off (by spending less money) buying SketchupPro and using the Layout feature to create CDs? Thinking of buying SketchupPro anyway...so, should I just start there, use it for CD's and think about buying LT when I get a few more clients lined up?

Thanks, Wesley
    Wesley

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What will I miss?

There are no ARCHITECTURE abilities in LT, it's a generic industry-neutral drafting program for everyone and no one specific at the same time. So unles you got into Lisp or VBA programming in your earlier 2007/2008 programs, you will miss very little.
    Download the trial of LT2012 and read up on the new features posted all over the internet to see what the gains are: you've been out of it for a while and this is not a good forum/method to catch up.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your feedback. I did know there are no ARCHITECTURE abilities in LT. I will definitely look into downloading a trial version to check it out. Do they still allow you to use the trial for 30 days before you can no longer save any changes?

Yes, I haven't been working in a firm for a while, but it's not like I can't use AutoCAD to draw. I can still draw circles around most people using AutoCAD. And with the market being the way it has been for the past three years, I'm sure there are plenty of people that will need to "catch up" at some point.

Any answers to these original questions:

What will I be missing over "Vanilla AutoCAD"? (Again, I know it doesn't have ARCHITECTURE features...not really looking for that. I want to know the big difference between LT and Reg. ACAD.

What will frustrate me the most about LT?
    What will pleasantly surprise me?
    What do I not know about LT that I need to quickly discover and will help me to use it as a better tool than I think it is?

Again, Thanks,
    Wesley

Login to Give a bone

No Lisp or better programming but scripts and diesel work.
    No 3d - solids or meshes.
    If you use it only for 2d plans you probably won't notice any real difference.

edit -
    I don't know about the latest version but earlier LTs couldn't create, for example, gradient hatches but could modify and reuse a gradient hatch sample imported from full acad.
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2011-04-15 at 11:18 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Jaberwok!
    Wesley

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I recommend you take a test drive with LT2012: second hand reviews are great up to a point, after that your specific exact questions can only be answered by you.

Drawing circles and lines has not changed if that's all you want to do. There is nothing added to those functions that will blow you away,

Login to Give a bone

Dean - Thanks.

Does LT allow you to change short key commands (or command alias)?

Also - if I have .dwg files created in AutoCAD Arch 2008, will I be able to open them in LT2012?

Again - thanks in advance...
    Wesley

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley1969 View Post
    Does LT allow you to change short key commands (or command alias)?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley1969 View Post
    Also - if I have .dwg files created in AutoCAD Arch 2008, will I be able to open them in LT2012?
    Check if there is an object enabler available for the combination you expect to use.
    See here.

Login to Give a bone

I might have said that you'd miss the Sheet Set Manager (a feature I use constantly)... *however*, it was just added to LT in the 2012 release, so nevermind that.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Hi Wesley,
    Along what previousely stated, if you'll be drafting in 2D then LT is a good choice. I attached here Autodesk comparison between AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT. The following link compares LT 2012 to earlier versions.
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=13706379

I see from your signature that you're learning Revit so why not take the opprtunity and dive in Revit (I know the price tag $$$$). Drafting the floor plans and annotations will be faster than AutoCAD. You have just to expect some diffculties adjusting roof edges, dormers, etc.

Regards,
    Samir
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast