See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2012 Deployment Creation

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2012 Deployment Creation

With the 2012 Release, Autodesk changed the Deployment Creation Process for the entire Revit line. This has created some major headaches for me as I plan to roll 2012 out to the rest of the office. Perhaps others have run into the same problems and have found some solutions

1- There is no place to define the Default Project Template. After installing the Deploy, the New Project Template it points to is 'Default.rte'.

2- In the Deploy Creation Process, I pointed it to the various Library / Template Locations. In Each of those instances it added additional directories on as a 'suffix'... meaning all of the paths are not correct

3- I cannot locate any place in the Deploy folder that allows me to change these paths, they can only be changed on the client machine after the deploy has been installed. The ini file on the client machine that is copied during the deploy process can not just be replaced with a generic ini file because it has the computer name as a line item in the ini file

I am baffled as to why they would drastically change the deploy process like this. It worked great before and they lost a lot of the deploy creation benefit in this latest release.

I have submitted a Support Request and the Tech recreated the problems and has forwarded the problem to the Software Developers to try and get some solutions.

Any similar stories? Problems? Solutions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrostar; 2011-04-19 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2012 Deployment Creation

Yikes, that doesnt sound good.

Keep on making things more confusing. I usually wait a few months to deploy until i can read up on all of these problems and hopefully there is a good solution before i take the plonge.

Login to Give a bone

We had the same issue. In the end I had to repath each individual machine. Quick, but annoying. Let us know if you recieve any feedback.

I could stop if I wanted to Baldwin_4-6-0's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

From experience, I DO NOT run the latest version of Revit on any active projects, I always wait until at least the 1st (maybe 2nd) Web Update, when a majority of the bugs are worked out. Autodesk has burned me 4 too many times on this.

But I would like to thank all you live beta testers out there.

Login to Give a bone

Well there are two separate problems here-

Even when you uncheck the Content Packs, It magically Rechecks the boxes when the Deploy is Created. It does not actually copy the content, but it think it does in the Directory Structure, so it adds the Content Pack names onto the File Paths (See Included images)

Second is the lack of Default Project Template path.

The Tech Support Team Member I worked with said

I just wanted to let you know that I have a logged a defect on this issue and have notified the developer and QA tech assigned to the defect to see if we can get this moving quickly. I will update you as soon as I have any information/news from them.
    So here's to hoping it can get fixed quickly... for now I am editing the paths manually after the program has been installed.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have experienced the issues you describe. Except that when I uncheck the content creation box, and dimiss the dire warning, it still seems to spray the actual content, not just the folders, all over my content folder. I will also log a suport request - maybe we can get some kind of hotfix before service pack 1 comes out in July.
    Hard to believe that they didn't test this first.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It should go without saying, but for those who are, um <clear my throat> lazy, and would rather have someone else worry about it, we need your feedback as well. The more support tickets you submit to Autodesk the quicker we will see a fix.

To the Moderator, shouldn't this be moved to the Revit - Platform thread? It's obviously impacting ALL flavors of Revit

I could stop if I wanted to david.metcalf's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hello all,

May I suggest you take a revit.ini file from a working client pathed to the server content location and use that to drag and drop into each client machine? Works pretty well, it's not 100% hands off though.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Instal...e/td-p/2749686

Regards,
    David

Login to Give a bone

Dealing with the Network Library Paths are only the minor part of the problem...

Problem I have with that route is the new 2012 Revit.ini file has some changes. First it has the Computer name in it. It also has a second line:

InstallGUID={C1A6B790-940B-48DD-B7F8-0A60BD3ED4E4}

This is part of making of Citrix Ready. Each user that uses Revit on a machine has their own Revit.ini file now.

The major problem is even if the content packs are unchecked in the deploy creation, when the software is deployed (and if you go back to edit the deploy, they content packs are checked again), it will still download and install the content. If the person getting the new deploy doesn't have write permissions to the Library folders on the network, the Deploy fails. Not to mention, if you are deploying to a large user base, each machine will be downloading the content from Autodesk.com...

Right now I altered the deploy to install the content on the user's local drive and then have a small script that will edit the existing Revit.ini to the correct paths (thus maintaining the computer name and InstallGUID fields). The trick is to edit the Revit.ini in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2012\Program\UserDataCache location BEFORE Revit 2012 is opened for the first time. Then all subsequent users will get the correct paths.

Edit- All of this has been verified / recreated by Tech Support. The Tech I was dealing with said he had 3 other Support Requests matching the above problem. They have filed a request with the developers to get it fixed but who knows how long that will take...
    Last edited by jrostar; 2011-04-20 at 10:52 PM.

Login to Give a bone

jrostar:
    Sounds like you've probably gotten past this point already, so this may not do you much good, but in case someone else finds this thread:

Harlan Brumm has a post about where the INI files are in 2012 on his "Revit Clinic" blog:
    http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_we...evit-2012.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast