Thread: Shell with FE load distribution

Login to Give a bone

Default Shell with FE load distribution

Hi,

I have a problem in a current ,model that surface loads on a panel meshed wit shell elements is not putting any load onto the beam grid below the panel, they are completly ingnored. The model is been created under the building set, I don't know if that has any to do with it. The only way I can have the beams included for the loads is if I combine the mesh of the panel with the beams. But this is splitting up the beam element in hundreds of bar elements which I don't want as useles for design purpose. I did a new model under the shell option when you start and I don't have any issues there but I cannot find any difference in my panel settings I am using completely the same.

Thanks for any comments I am trying to solve that issue now for days.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shell with FE load distribution

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. Did you happen to find any solution?

Login to Give a bone

Please attach your model.

Login to Give a bone

I don't get this error on every project. I'll attach the model I get it on.

This is a cast-in-place concrete basement. Supports is managed by elasticity parameters on ground.
    It is also not on a design face yet, so the mesh is somewhat crude/unrefined.

It's all the bars in this project, it doesn't get the loads from the FE-shell elements.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Jørn Inge
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Jorn, as far as I can tell, the load is tranferred to the beams. Any screenshots of what is actually wrong?

BTW is your model imported from Revit? The mesh isn't well-formed with the curvilinear and inclined surfaces, it should be reworked and the inclined wall-to-floor connection should be remodeled.

Login to Give a bone

I know the mesh is somewhat dodgy, and it is imported from Revit, so that might be some of it. But it is good enough for this stage of the project (There might be some changes to the model from the architect and so on). Thanks for the heads up though, any feedback is appreciated.

It does get some loads, but only some of it. If I use RC-beam calculation with the T-slab option turned on, I get no T-slab geometry (this works fine in other projects). And when I check the moment-diagrams they are much lower than expected from other/hand calculation calculations.

Attached is moment maps of slab 41 with and without beams. As you can see, there is little to no difference between the two. It seems like the beam only get it's forces from the end and not from the FE-slab.

Edit*: I added a load typed named Test and gave slab41 a uniform planar load of 10 kN/m2

Regards,
    Jørn Inge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jorninge.kristiansen; 2011-06-14 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added clarity

Login to Give a bone

I've gotten this problem fixed now.

It is a problem with revit-integration, and the solution is to open the model with repair mode.