Thread: Viewport Help

Login to Give a bone

Default Viewport Help

Here's a question:

I've got a 750x150 mm viewport size. I want it to stay that size. I'm trying to rotate a rectangle (used as a view frame) within that viewport and then zoom it in so it is the same size as the viewport. I'm trying to use rotate view within mvsetup but I can't just use a reference angle like the regular rotate command and it keeps rotating an angle that I don't want it to. I don't know how else I could go at this. Would there be an easier way?

A coworker suggested to use viewport clip and then rotate and then zoom extents, but its an xref and not an individual rectangle. I can't clip from an xref can I?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viewport Help

Well I guess rather than starting a new thread I'll ellaborate on this one.

I just figured out I can use View Frames. Problem is I've never done viewframes and I'm trying to follow tutorials and such but it confuses me. Is there a way to make viewframes a certain size and have matchlines offset from the edges of a view frame a certain distance?

I want to make my view frame 375mm in length and have the matchlines on each side offset 37.5mm so that the length in between matchlines are no more than 300mm. So which is why I was making a bunch of rectangles manually.

Login to Give a bone

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do but will this help? -

UCS
    Z
    90 (or whatever angle)
    PLAN

This rotates the co-ordinate system within the viewport about the Z axis and rotates the view in the viewport to match the new UCS.
    If necessary, note the zoom level before you start and reproduce it afterward.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Viewport Help

I think I know what you are trying to do.. you have big model and are placing rectangles in model space to make views with matchlines?

Why do you need to rotate them, is it a civil model?

Any way, if this is the case, there are a few ways I would do this.
    You could do this in model space, or through an unlocked viewport.

As Jaberwok mentioned, you can use command: UCS, Z, <your angle> PLAN, <enter> .... this will rotate your view about the z axis at you given angle. [ps: To get back to world, just use the command: UCS, W, Plan <enter>].

Now, if you're looking through a viewport, zoom to your scale, pan to your desired view, and place your rectangle (I assume on a no plot layer?).

Then I would save this view, named something appropriate using the command "view" (gives you a dialog box), then you can recall this view in PS or MS. Be sure to UN-check the "save layer states" box or it may cause you problems later when you add layers you want to see.

Then you can rotate and pan all day long, saving your views.

FYI: The view names are drawing specific, so if you have several sheets these views match up with, you'll need to create the view names in the drawing files the sheets are in. I've done this in both an xref base and the plot sheets they're referenced in, for ease of working in those areas of the drawings.

This is just one way to accomplish what I think you're doing...
    Hope it helps.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Could it be your system variable 'vprotateassoc'? set it to <0>. This should allow you to rotate your rectange independently from your viewport.