Thread: Revit Groups

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Groups

I'm working on an apartment building that has multiple units that are the same. I have 1bed units, 2 different 2 bed units, and a 3 bed unit.

I'm wondering the best way to do this. I'd like to make it so that when i edit one they all change. I tried a model group but when I changed one some of them became un-grouped. Not sure why. I could do a family but then everytime i want to change the family I have to "edit' it. And I don't like that.

Any idea how else to do this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Groups

You migh look into using a linked model for each unit. We played the group game as well, and had nothing but annoying little problems like you're seeing.

In h interest of full discloser, that project went on hold and is only just coming back, so I haven't played with linking units yet.

Login to Give a bone

I didn't think about that but after a bit of research it looks like I have to close the main model each time I need to work in the linked model otherwise the changed don't take effect.

Since it takes me so long to open/save/close files on this computer I feel like that wouldn't work very well. Too bad its not like autocad's xrefs...just change and reload.

Thanks for the feedback though...if my boss would finally decide on new computers I wouldn't have this issue!

Login to Give a bone

If you're still in 2011, you can just open another instance of revit to edit the links in, then save them and reload into the project using Manage Links. (In 2012 they have supposedly fixed the link unloading thing, but I haven't checked yet)

This doesn't fix the old computer issue though. I wish you luck with that, we're fighting similar battles.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, I see. So I can have them open at the same time (links and base file) just in different revit instances? Sweet. That might be the answer.