See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dimension in Paper Space or Model?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dimension in Paper Space or Model?

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post

Now, if they are using my drawing as a base, and for some bizarre reason decided that they wanted to duplicate a dimension that my organization is responsible for, they are taking a risk and assuming liability that they should not.
    Getting off topic again, but this comment takes me back to the reasons one should always include a CYA (Cover Your A$$) note as the #1 General Note on every dwg. Typically directed at the contractor using the paper dwg to build from, but it's no different for someone using the CAD file as a basis for their design. Whether it be dimensions or the actual background linework, it can only be assumed to be accurate, and should be field verified...doh!

Stepping down from my soapbox now lol

Login to Give a bone

So I have been watching this topic....and I have always had my dimensions in model space...
    I asked someone here at the office about it and he showed me how the dimensioning works in paper space... as I thought you would have to blow up paper space for the dims to work and still scale to print. Guess I have been away from AutoCAD too long to know that this was even possible...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    So I have been watching this topic....and I have always had my dimensions in model space...
    I asked someone here at the office about it and he showed me how the dimensioning works in paper space... as I thought you would have to blow up paper space for the dims to work and still scale to print. Guess I have been away from AutoCAD too long to know that this was even possible...
    Huh? Could you clarify "... blow up paper space for the dims to work and still scale to print."?

Login to Give a bone

scale up the paperspace size by however scale for the dimensions to work....I don't remember dimensioning in paperspace to correspond with whats in modelspace...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Huh? Could you clarify "... blow up paper space for the dims to work and still scale to print."?
    scale up the paperspace size by however scale for the dimensions to work....I don't remember dimensioning in paperspace to correspond with whats in modelspace...
    I will have to second the earlier mentioned "Huh?"
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

LOL....now your making me feel like dimensioning in paperspace has always worked....

Nevermind..... I think I have been away from AutoCAD too long and forgot everything...

EDIT.. What I meant was bringing paperspace to the scale you want and your model space viewport at 1:1.....which is what I thought you had to do to dimension in papespace...
    Michael "MP" Patrick

Login to Give a bone

Originally Posted by cadtag >>
    If someone in another firm edits a drawing that I'm responsible for...

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    I have seen that people from other firms complains about this a lots of time when my colleague does this.
    It's quite likely that if he keeps doing that, they may complain through their attorneys.

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    Well, if you are just the drafter, your CAD manager/engineer does have the right/authority to modify your drawing without your consent.
    If this is happen, you can easily guess what will be happen when you are back in next morning.
    True, but again, if it's the 'correct' thing to do, that is it improves the design, solves a problem, facilitates construction, etc. then it should be done.

It's not a question of rights or authority or how many letters someone has after their name -- it's a question of design coordination and communication. I don't need to provide my consent, but he/she needs to communicate what changed and why. It's possible/probable/likely that whatever was changed affects other elements of the job, e.g. move a light and it now interferes with the hvac registers, move a manhole, and now the grade for the sewer needs to be redone, move a planting bed, and then verify that it won't flood the parking lot.

if you're talking manufacturing, or widgets, I don't have an opinion. The only work I've done in that field was a set of patent drawings for a caseless machine gun. And they didn't even offer me a working sample..

Login to Give a bone

LOL....now your making me feel like dimensioning in paperspace has always worked....

Nevermind..... I think I have been away from AutoCAD too long and forgot everything...

EDIT.. What I meant was bringing paperspace to the scale you want and your model space viewport at 1:1.....which is what I thought you had to do to dimension in papespace...
    If I'm understanding what you're saying, I have never seen it done that way. Say you have a 22"x34" titleblock is in paper space. You're scaling that up to a larger size? Like in the old days before paperspace and you scaled up the titleblock to fit your drawing in model space?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pope View Post
    If I'm understanding what you're saying, I have never seen it done that way. Say you have a 22"x34" titleblock is in paper space. You're scaling that up to a larger size? Like in the old days before paperspace and you scaled up the titleblock to fit your drawing in model space?
    To be fair, I've seen that done with some survey drawings to try to account for meters in model space and meters in paper space while showing mm dimensions (or some such scaling). I think maybe they got confused and thought paper space was in meters rather than mm? Whoever bodged that system together created a royal PITA for all of us downstream.

Typically paper space is paper sized. ISO A1 sheet? Paper space is 841 x 594 - A1 sized. Plotting is done at 1:1. The scale factor comes in for the viewport and, with dimensions in paper space, the dimension objects as well. The key is text is whatever size it should be printed at: 3mm high. No fumbling around with "Well, the drawing will be at 1:2000 so the MS text has to be... 3 x 2000? No, thats not right, model space is in 'meters'... by another thousand then?". Annotative scaling has taken care of some of that for us.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Believe it or not, it is hard to get people to agree one thing when talking about CAD standard.
    Just look at your office, every member in the design term has their own "standard" in mind and is hard to follow the company's CAD standard.

When someone takes his/her idea(s) to the discussion in the forum, it would be even more difficult to get others to agree.
    The one of the big reasons that many people are like to stick with AutoCAD is that AutoCAD provides more customisation.

This is a headache when people have to make a choice between the customisation and the company standard.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast