Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy & Paste Dynamic Blocks

Login to Give a bone

Cool Copy & Paste Dynamic Blocks

So I've looked and haven't seen this issue addressed. When I first read up on Dynamic Blocks I got the impression that several blocks could be replaced by one block, so I did just that. Every symbol I might use while annotating a drawing was put in a block (section cuts, break lines, etc.), all the weld symbols were put in a block, and so on.

Here's the problem. When using these blocks on details for one job it may come up that I need that detail for another job. So there is a copy of this detail into the current job and then guess what my DB's go back to whatever they look like when initially inserted into a drawing. We do this enough that it is a problem. So what should be my work around?

Should I explode everything before inserting a detail from one job to the next? I've found that I can redefine the DB in both the old and new drawing with some success, but this is time consuming. I've just read about the ATTSYNC command and if this is my answer, well I just heard of this command and I'm in the process of exploring it. I'm just curious what others are doing or if I have somewhat of a misunderstanding for DB's and their power.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Copy & Paste Dynamic Blocks

WBLOCK your detail then insert it into your new drawing. Then, if you need to, explode that block and then edit.

Login to Give a bone

OK I just tried that to make sure but that isn't working for me. I had tried that before. Any thoughts??

Login to Give a bone

What appears to happen in my experience is that even though you may insert D-block definitions properly before copy/pasting, autocad hasn't had any of the visibility states defined in the destination file (ever notice the anonymous block names?)

properly insert your typical symbol D-blocks into the destination file, cycle through the vis-states that your copied detail will have, THEN paste the recycled content into the file and see what happens.

I've not needed to do this myself before in such a long time, i'm curious if this still is the issue.

What release are you in?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

2011 for the moment...we have 2012 available I just haven't upgraded my machine yet.

Login to Give a bone

hmm...Chris If I understood you correctly that didn't work. I inserted the DB and cycled through some of the vis states the detail incorporated. When I went to copy paste the detail in the same thing happened.

Login to Give a bone

that stinks. does it happen a lot, or just with a small handful of 'destination' files?

I don't know what else to suggest, other than check for gremlins.
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Copy & Paste Dynamic Blocks

This has always happen since we converted to using DB's. I think it was you (Chris) who talked about setting up your tool palette w/ ind. files for ea. DB instead of having them all in one dwg. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. (We currently have them all in one file.) I'm wanting to rework some of our DB's and wanted to know some more info. about this behavior before doing so.

So this isn't normal? Most people, though not desired, can copy a DB into another drawing w/o consequences?

I have to say it seems like our AutoCAD's become quirky and it's becoming common to find out that a repair of the program fixes the sporadic behavior. One time it was with DWF's, an operator's machine just decided to stop plotting DWF's; a repair fixed it. We upgraded and my machine was doing something a certain way, I thought it was normal until a co-worker asked me why I did it that way; repair fixed it.

Login to Give a bone

I'd say the behavior you're experiencing is not normal. It's usually a problem file or a problem with the program that makes one want to pull out healthy hair.

My other issue with library 'files' instead of folders is that if the file were to become corrupt, then you just lost your entire library!

One way to quickly switch over (not including work to re-path palettes) to library folder is to go through the library file and WBLOCK all your blocks out using the BLOCK definition option. (NOT selected OBJECTS!)

Again, don't know for sure if this will fix your problem you're having right now, but just helping so you can test a different way of working.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N View Post
    I'd say the behavior you're experiencing is not normal. It's usually a problem file or a problem with the program that makes one want to pull out healthy hair.

My other issue with library 'files' instead of folders is that if the file were to become corrupt, then you just lost your entire library!

One way to quickly switch over (not including work to re-path palettes) to library folder is to go through the library file and WBLOCK all your blocks out using the BLOCK definition option. (NOT selected OBJECTS!)

Again, don't know for sure if this will fix your problem you're having right now, but just helping so you can test a different way of working.
    Hate to poor water on your parade but i've been having the same isue here. it is very frustrating to the point that one of the lads here refuses to use them full stop and as quite a few of the main stay it becomes a bit of a pain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast