Thread: HIGHLIGHT reverts to 0 after burst command?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default HIGHLIGHT reverts to 0 after burst command?

My HIGHLIGHT variable keeps reverting to 0 in AutoCAD 2011, after using burst, and sometimes trim. It is speratic, but annoying. Has anybody else seen this happen, or am I all alone. Doesnt happen in 2008, and I have not altered any commands. Checked all new lisps too, they don't call the highlight variable, and if they do, they reset it to 1 at the end of the command. I looked around here, but I have not found a thread relating to this issue.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: HIGHLIGHT reverts to 0 after burst command?

Quote Originally Posted by stimmo520 View Post
    My HIGHLIGHT variable keeps reverting to 0 in AutoCAD 2011, after using burst, and sometimes trim. It is speratic, but annoying. Has anybody else seen this happen, or am I all alone. Doesnt happen in 2008, and I have not altered any commands. Checked all new lisps too, they don't call the highlight variable, and if they do, they reset it to 1 at the end of the command. I looked around here, but I have not found a thread relating to this issue.
    I've found that to happen sometimes, but I think it's when I escape out of a lisp before completion and the routine doesn't reset the variables.

Login to Give a bone

Not sure why this would happen with the burst command.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I've found that to happen sometimes, but I think it's when I escape out of a lisp before completion and the routine doesn't reset the variables.
    Sadly, this is a frequent failure, on the part of the routine's author, not providing an adequate *error* handler.

If you come accross a custom routine that does this, and you have access to the source code, post a new thread in the LISP forum, and we'll try to help.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks..Ill look through the lisp that seem to cause this and see if they call the variable at any point throughout the routine.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have zeroed it down to the burst command that I recently made a button on my panel for. Can't recall if we are using the Express tools burst or a cutom version, but that is defiently the command that is resetting Highlight..

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    Not sure why this would happen with the burst command.

Sadly, this is a frequent failure, on the part of the routine's author, not providing an adequate *error* handler.

If you come accross a custom routine that does this, and you have access to the source code, post a new thread in the LISP forum, and we'll try to help.
    I've got some routines that are almost 20 years old that are still in use. I'll post the code from the offending rouine if I can lock it down... I don't escape out of them often, so it may be a while.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Wow..I ran the burst command in 2008 and the highlight variable stays at 1. When I run the same command in 2011 it reverts after the command has run to 0. I've looked through the autocad lisp file and saw the error trapping and the variable called, but its weird that 2011 would act this way. any info on why?
    I think I may have found out..2008 is calling burst from the express tools file, and 2011 is calling from an autocad lisp from 1997? When I load the 2011 express file it is fine..now I just need to find out who is calling the old burst command..that was silly though..hmmm.
    Last edited by stimmo520; 2011-05-06 at 05:14 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: HIGHLIGHT reverts to 0 after burst command?

Ok..got it. when I installed 2011, I put our lisp folder ahead of my express tools folder in the support path, thus, moved folder up, and it took precedent over the 1997 version that I am sure someone in our office is still utilizing somehow (otherwise it wouldnt be in the collective 30 years of lisp files).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stimmo520 View Post
    Ok..got it. when I installed 2011, I put our lisp folder ahead of my express tools folder in the support path, thus, moved folder up, and it took precedent over the 1997 version that I am sure someone in our office is still utilizing somehow (otherwise it wouldnt be in the collective 30 years of lisp files).
    uhmmm, when was the last time anyone audited that archive of LISP code? I'll guarantee that much of it is not needed -- a lot of stuff we worked around with LISP back in the day is now part of autocad. (tentsel) from TonyT comes to mind

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I dont think this group has ever audited. Its like that hoarders show. They think that one day they might need one of these old routines, or maybe its their investment in the original. I dont know, Im here for BIM and I work in AutoCAD primarily? So, I guys Ill go through the directory and create an old lisp folder.