Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autcad Upgrade Warning

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Autcad Upgrade Warning

CAD managers beware

Those AutoCAD users considering upgrading to Inventor should be made aware that once an AutoCAD license has been used to upgrade there's no turning back!! Should you subsequently decide to maintain just AutoCAD only and not the more costly Inventor, Autodesk does not allow you to use the license to upgrade to future releases of AutoCAD without Inventor.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autcad Upgrade Warning

We are basically being pushed into this anyways right???
    It is going to be more cost effective to buy the entire software package with subscriptions allowing an upgrade to latest and greatest each year.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I'm sorry, but in my world any form of 'forced' upgrade or
    forced puchase of a 'subscription' is NOT cost effective.
    This subscription program is a bad idea for the customer
    period.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjfarrell
    I'm sorry, but in my world any form of 'forced' upgrade or
    forced puchase of a 'subscription' is NOT cost effective.
    This subscription program is a bad idea for the customer
    period.

Its not a forced upgrade, you dont have to purchase anything you do not want.
    You can use dinosaur cad forever if you wish.

I love subscriptions...best way to ensure the IT department here receieves the
    new versions of CAD as they come out. Id also rather not pay twice as much for
    a full seat each time I want an upgrade. A Cad upgrade vs an employees salary is
    peanuts anyways....all depends on where you work.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I don't know if the vendors or the users I've been talking to
    have been mis-rersenting the facts. However more than a few
    individuals have related that their vendor will not sell them the
    current version WITHOUT forcing them to also purchase the
    subscription service.
    Also, if you can be honest about it, there has YET to be any release
    of any Autodesk product that was so revolutionary that one HAD to
    have it the DAY that it was released.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I know this dates me, but I can remember way back when we opened the package containing AutoCAD 9 or 10, along with the pile of floppy disks (!) was a note saying something to the effect of, "Thank you for purchasing AutoCAD. Your purchase entitles you to future upgrades..."

Somewhere along the way Autodesk decided to limit that benefit to the customer by adopting a policy of "retiring" releases more than a couple of years old. One could interpret that as a breach of promise to customers who got the foregoing note with their copy(ies) of AutoCAD.

IMHO, there is just no way around the fact that this idea of revoking the customer's ability to upgrade after a time limit arbitrarily chosen by Autodesk, and not made clear to the customer at the time of purchase, is simply customer-hostile behavior on the part of Autodesk. I can only speculate they do this to strong-arm customers into upgrading who might otherwise make an honest analysis of the product and decide that the cost outweighs the benefit.

In other words, Autodesk is attempting to skew the free-market axiom of "Build a better mousetrap". It's an indication to me that they themselves regard their upgrades as lacking in sufficient innovation to justify the price, and therefore require these kinds of tactics to get people to buy them. Doesn't it seem ironic that the same outfit that screams bloody murder about how software piracy is an outrage against free-market intellectual property rights is so willing to turn around and try to subvert free-market principles when it suits their own interest?

Michael Evans
    Togawa & Smith, Inc.

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Autcad Upgrade Warning

It would be nice if Autodesk had the same line of thought as Bentley does....

I just upgraded to Microstation V8 for $650.00 from a Intergraph version 3.1 (1993) floppy. All I had was the floppy with the serial number on it and I was able to upgrade to the lastest version. Saved about $3800.00.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445
    ISomewhere along the way Autodesk decided to limit that benefit to the customer by adopting a policy of "retiring" releases more than a couple of years old. One could interpret that as a breach of promise to customers who got the foregoing note with their copy(ies) of AutoCAD.

Didn't microsoft retire windows 98???? If you have a windows98 machine you
    will no longer receives patches to stop security threats. That could make you
    have to buy a brand new computer. Lets be realistic here........we are never
    going to win and everyone is in the business to make money.

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rhall.72202
    Didn't microsoft retire windows 98???? If you have a windows98 machine you
    will no longer receives patches to stop security threats. That could make you
    have to buy a brand new computer. Lets be realistic here........we are never
    going to win and everyone is in the business to make money.

Well, yes and no. While Microsoft no longer supports Windows 98, if I'm not mistaken you still qualify for upgrade pricing on one of their newer OS's if you have Windows 98. I believe the same is true of their Office products. And there are other companies that will still allow you to upgrade from products that are ancient by PC standards - Novell's NetWare 3.12 comes to mind.

If you have a Windows 98 machine, however, it would probably be wiser (and cheaper) to backup the data you want to keep, format the hard drive, and install Linux. It's less processor- and memory-intensive than Windows 2000 or Windows XP, costs less to acquire, and is less prone to security problems. No, you can't run AutoCAD (yet), but my guess is that you'd probably want a newer, more powerful machine for CAD anyway.

Maybe you're right that "we're never going to win" in getting big software companies to adopt more customer-friendly policies, but on the other hand, I think our range of choices is only going to get bigger.

Michael Evans
    Togawa & Smith, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by michael.12445
    Well, yes and no. While Microsoft no longer supports Windows 98, if I'm not mistaken you still qualify for upgrade pricing on one of their newer OS's if you have Windows 98.
    You can also upgrade if you have Win95.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast