Thread: Editable Mesh

Login to Give a bone

Default Editable Mesh

I would like to deform a topology that is imported from Revit, to give some details to it. All the Revit geometry is converted to Editable Mesh automatically when imported to Max. If I want to use a tool like Paint Deformation, I need to convert it to Editable Poly. However, if I do that, the topology object loses all the complexity (no subdivisions). What is the proper way to achieve what I need? I just need to give some more complexity to the topo surface, so that a displacement map would be more effective for a grass shader.
    Any comments would be appreciated. Thanx

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Editable Mesh

Interesting that the Edit Poly changes the surface. It could be that the normals are facing down in the Mesh. Check that first. Also, it is possible to add an Edit Poly to the stack as a modifier. Keep you Mesh in tack. Worth a try.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Editable Mesh

Quote Originally Posted by loydg View Post
    Interesting that the Edit Poly changes the surface. It could be that the normals are facing down in the Mesh. Check that first. Also, it is possible to add an Edit Poly to the stack as a modifier. Keep you Mesh in tack. Worth a try.
    Thank you for your advice. I tried the editable poly modifier too, but the result was identical.
    My solution was that I exported the mesh object as .obj file and re-imported it to Max as editable poly object,
    which gave me nice complexity with enough subdivisions, so that I could work with paint deformation tools for further detailing.