Thread: Block editor bug?

Login to Give a bone

Default Block editor bug?

ACA 2012
    Win 7 x64

We have had several instances of the block editor corrupting drawings recently and I'm wondering if it is a bug or just something that is wrong on our end.

I can recreated the error - so in theory someone else can verify this.

Edit a block in a drawing. While in BE - close & save the drawing but don't close the block editor. When re-opening the file, there will be no visible data other than the block, which won't be a block anymore. When looking at the file - the file size will be correct & the information is still in the file - block names, layers etc.

I know closing while in the editor isn't the best idea in general, but it shouldn't cause the entire drawing to be trashed right? There have also been some weird glitchy things while editing in place - but I haven't been able to reproduce them.

Thanks.

edit - sorry. this is in the wrong forum and I don't see a delete button.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Block editor bug?

Yeah we have run into this on several occasions now. We have re-created it over and over again. My theory is - as soon as you try to close and save a drawng while in the block editor or just hit save on the quick access toolbar, AutoCAD wants to interpret that as "Oh, the user wants to save this block off as a seperate file to use in other drawings." So it saves it off as a seperate file, but it keeps the same name of the drawing it came from - so in turn - it overwrites the current drawing.... we have had several catastrophic incidents already because of this. Thanks god for autosaves and back up files!

We're looking into writing a script or a piece of code that will prevent users from saving or exiting while in the block editor.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Block editor bug?

If you come up with a script could you share it? Some people never learn and continue to do this and then get really angry when they lose work...