See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nostromo 2011

Login to Give a bone

Default Nostromo 2011

After reading some old threads about people using the Razer Nostromo as a left hand drafting keypad, I decided to try it out.

After a month of tinkering and learning I can honestly say that I would hate to be without it now.

I'll post up my keymaps (as of today, it's a work in progress) in case anyone's interested. I have the keymaps colour coded according to the lights on the Nostromo, and I hold either the thumb button or the (thumb) d-pad to move between keymaps. When I let go with the thumb it returns to the default map.

If there's any interest out there I'm happy to expand this thread, answer questions, or explain some of the better macros I have like 'Super Save' which does everything you could want in one button.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nostromo 2011

Thanks for uploading your keymaps. I've been using an older Belken n52te and couldn't figure out what was going on with the multi-coloured keymaps (only three on the Belken). Took awhile to figure out you had the new Razer model...

Have you updated your keymaps since your last post? Or found any new tips or tricks? Would love to see them, as I'm thinking about upgrading to the Razer.

Cheers,

J

Login to Give a bone

Hi Tekcon,

Here is my current layout. It's pretty stable, I don't change it, or very minor tweaks.

This is really tailored to suit the drawings I do here (underground coal mining, pretty drawings for reports & board members, thru to technical/structural/materials handling). I use the Nostromo along with a ribbon panel where I put any buttons/scripts/macros that I use frequently.

By doing this I only really use the keyboard for text fields and title blocks!

Also Razer are working on "Synapse" (currently beta) which will allow cloud backup of settings. I've been lobbying them to add the Nostromo to their supported devices and they say it will happen. This will allow one click backup of all macros & settings for the Nostromo. T

http://i.imgur.com/494jp.jpg

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your latest keymap. Some VERY nice ideas there I'm going to "borrow".

We work with electrical building services and I am now beginning the transition to Revit from Autocad. One of the other CAD ops has latched on to my Nostromo and has been creating a sizeable macro library and keymappings.

With Autocad I use keyboard commands a lot and the Ribbon sparingly. Now that I'm beginning to get into Revit, I find the workflow is more conducive to using the Ribbon. Using the keyboard is a bit disruptive to my workflow now, and I find myself mentally mapping out new Revit keymaps for when I wrestle back my Nostromo. Which will be today. I shall be nice and leave behind a post-it note with a link to the Razer store...

I sure hope you're right about the Synapse cloud backup. At least I can back up my Naga there now. The addition of the Nostromo would be perfect.

I'll post my Autocad and Revit keymaps when they're done, but that probably won't be in the near future...

J

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

wow, i just bought one and THEN i found this thread. I am really excited about this Nostromo, the biggest problem i have now is that im so overwhelmed with options, lol. Your maps are a great starting point, as soon as i saw one map was the number pad i was like FTW. i have actually been using a USB number pad on the left side of my keyboard for years to keep from taking my hand off the mouse. Super stoked, thanks for sharing

Login to Give a bone

Hey glad someone else is getting on board. I would hate to have to work without mine now, I would actually feel pretty handicapped if it suddenly died or I went to a new job and wasn't allowed to install the drivers by the IT dept, for example. It does take a while though, a workmate got one and he was never able to get used to it, as you have to get slower for a while before you get faster. But eventually you'll be faster than ever

A couple more tips:

Start with something like my 'default' page but tweak it so it makes sense to you. After you get that set up add in numbers (I hold the button to enable them). Just leave it at that for a bit, try to get used to that much.

I have a large smooth lump of hardened blu tack on my 03 key, above the centre key. I also have a small lump on the 13 key, below the 08 key. This lets me feel the centres on all rows, helps a lot.

I have a cheat sheet (as per attached image) pasted on the bottom of one of my monitors, I rarely look at it but it's there if say someone's looking over my shoulder and I freeze up under pressure...

I use the nostromo in conjunction with a ribbon panel, anything that I use a lot goes on the Nostromo, use less and I add it to a ribbon panel. That way I'm covering everything. I currently have 3 squares highlighted on my cheat sheet as possible substitutions (not used much).

Quite a few of the ones you see on my key map are macros, eg Save is actually layer=0, visretain=1,USC=W, Save.

When recording macros turn off 'insert 50ms space between keypresses' but if you stack heaps of commands you might need to insert pauses to let acad catch up. EG things like audit/purge/tilemode take time for acad.

Key 15, the big thumb button, is obviously enter. Mine was very stiff to begin with, a bit awkward. Now it's loosened up nicely.

Also sometimes you get 'stuck' on another keymap - so I have set the round button (toggles numbers normally) to return me to default keymap from any other keymap.

Hope these tips help, I get an email if this thread gets posted to, I'm happy to answer questions.
    Dave.
    Last edited by dave.drafting762382; 2012-06-18 at 06:03 AM.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I'm in as well. thanks so much for not only the idea that people use this keyboard, but for the customization.

Few things to make it even more awesome, I recommend AutoHotKey and a script to control the mouse pointer with the number pad (modded to use with the D-pad). Very cool.

Login to Give a bone

Hello,
    I was wondering if there are any updates from anyone using a Nostromo with Revit 2012.
    I have just got one of these and have found it easy to programme but am having more difficulty deciding just what to put on it!
    All my Keymaps are noted up in Excel and I have cheat sheets printed out but can't quite figure out the best way to change keymaps.
    So far I am using the D-Pad to "nudge" elements and the wheel to scroll keymaps.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by adriansmith725640; 2012-07-04 at 11:12 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mipakr146389 View Post
    I'm in as well. thanks so much for not only the idea that people use this keyboard, but for the customization.

Few things to make it even more awesome, I recommend AutoHotKey and a script to control the mouse pointer with the number pad (modded to use with the D-pad). Very cool.

I've been looking for a way to control the mouse pointer using the D-pad. Never thought of Autohotkey. Do you have more in-depth info on that or can you guide me to some good resource material? Yeah, yeah, I know... Google > Autohotkey, numberpad... I guess just answered my own question.

Login to Give a bone

Nostromo Key layout.dwg
    Quote Originally Posted by adriansmith725640 View Post
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there are any updates from anyone using a Nostromo with Revit 2012.
    I have just got one of these and have found it easy to programme but am having more difficulty deciding just what to put on it!
    All my Keymaps are noted up in Excel and I have cheat sheets printed out but can't quite figure out the best way to change keymaps.
    So far I am using the D-Pad to "nudge" elements and the wheel to scroll keymaps.
    Thanks.

I Just had to reprogram my entire 100-odd keymaps and macros due to swapping to a gruntier machine.
    Thanks Razer for taking so long to provide Synapse support for the Nostromo (and not answering emails lately)
    Anyway it "only" took 2-3hrs this time and my updated key layout is attached as a cad file if this helps anyone.

Adrian - just to be clear. If you look at my keymaps, what I do it use the D-pad to change keymap, but only while holding one direction. This gives me 4 keymaps. Then I use the circle button above D-pad for my numbers keymap, again only while held. I always return to default keymap with nothing pressed.

There are 4 more diagonal directions available but I find them too difficult to hit. I prefer to leave them as space between the 4 directions I use.

I find this a quick way to get around - I have ways of remembering, for instance most of my drawing buttons (blue/red/green group) involve pressing down on the D-pad like a pen pressing down.

Also thanks Mipakr good tip about AutoHotKey for anything Razer driver won't do.

Nostromo Key layout.dwg
    Last edited by dave.drafting762382; 2012-07-09 at 05:48 AM. Reason: attachment not working?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast