Thread: Match Lines

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Match Lines

I have read through various threads on this, all of which were helpful, but I was wondering how others are handling this issue. It appears that this is an area Revit needs to address in the next release.

We do many large school projects in our office, most of which do not fit onto a single page. Many of the schools we work on are 30's and 40's vintage with various additions done throughout the decades. Because of the multiple additions, most buildings do not break cleanly, so we end up using jogged match lines. In AutoCAD, this was an easy task, however, we are finding it a little more difficult with Revit.

In past threads, some have mentioned the use of grid lines with a custom head, which I have created and used successfully. However, there are limitations to it with regards to the number of bends/jogs one can create. In lieu of using model lines with text, what other solutions have others come up with to handle match lines?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Match Lines

I have a building that I need to break up into quadrants. I have the complete model done with all of the annotation. When I apply Crop Region all of the Room tags & annotations show up out side of the crop region.

Awhile back someone thought I could turn off the symbols by selecting them and have them not show in that view... I can't find any way of turning them off...

What am I missing?

Thanks

Doug

EDIT: Thread Merged.
    Last edited by beegee; 2005-01-12 at 01:13 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Match Lines

It's late... I just deleted the tags out side of the Crop Region... does not affect the other views (duh... (view specific) However... the wall elevation tags out side the crop region is another problem... if I delete them the elevation goes too. For the most part I can move them out of the way. Any solutions?

Thanks

Doug

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Match Lines

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    ...all of the Room tags & annotations show up out side of the crop region...
    Annotation outside a crop region can be deleted. It doesn't affect any data. Data in tags is part of the object, tags just display the data. Notes and dimensions naturally don't need to be there either since there is nothing there to begin with. If you need the annotation on other levels then you can cut/paste them accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoe
    ...some have mentioned the use of grid lines with a custom head...
    That would be me and until we get a matchline feature (we've specifically asked the Revit dev team for this) I think that gridlines are the most effective way. I've tried families, linework and such and none beat the automatic nature of gridlines...yet...
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2005-01-12 at 01:43 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Doug,

If theres not too many of them, use "Hide Annotation In View".

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    ..................However... the wall elevation tags out side the crop region is another problem... if I delete them the elevation goes too. For the most part I can move them out of the way. Any solutions?

Thanks

Doug

Login to Give a bone

jcoe, I have to agree with the wisdom of Mr. Steve Stafford here. In our firm we deal a lot with the same things you do, except we do hospitals. Until Autodesk can come up with a decent way of incorporating match lines within Revit, you just have to bite the bullet and coordinate them yourself using the methods he described. Hopefully more people can request this so it can get more priority with the developers...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you all for your feedback.

I was able to work with the grid line in combination with custom annotation tag...I found that if I checked both ends of the grid line, I could manipulate the cut such that it layed out properly. The one feature that I did not like however, was that where I broke the line and adjusted it, it became a solid line and did not continue with the same line type - other tags such as elevations do this as well but do not bother me as much. I believe that there is enough need to address incorporating a matchline tool into the next Revit release, or at least an option to make one without workarounds - even if the workarounds can be successful.

Also, I noticed that my titleblocks in 7.0 no longer have the ? place holder showing up where I have text labels. WAY TO GO REVIT TEAM!!!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Guys! When I started the project I knew I was going to be dividing the project up. I used grid lines for my match line... that was a no brainer... now the developer want to see a portion of what is beyond the wall, and that is just too easy, thanks Revit!!

I just forgot that the tags are view specific and could be deleted per view.

Thanks Again!
    Doug