Thread: Autocad 2012 direct-manipulation of UCS icon

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad 2012 direct-manipulation of UCS icon

I think I like this feature, but have not quite figured out how to use it yet. I hope y'all can clear up something for me...

First, I have no trouble rotating a view around through a layout viewport (using the PLAN command after tugging the UCS around by its X and Y grips), but one of the other options is supposed to be moving the icon (with or without align option) by grabbing its origin grip and dragging the icon to a new location and planting it there. However, what I am getting is the appearance of dragging the icon, but when I try to anchor it to the new spot, it just pops back where it was before. When you grab the origin grip, it follows the cursor around, whether you release the left mouse button or not. I have tried numerous ways to plant it at the new location (including the obvious one of left-clicking again) but so far it only pops back to where it came from. This problem seems to happen regardless of whether I have the icon set for 2Dor 3D.

The reason I need to move the icon is the subject of my next question: When using an irregular polygonal viewport, if there is clipping going on at the lower left of the viewport, the UCS icon may appear in the viewport only partially or not at all.

So, I'm confused (not particularly difficult for me). Is there a bug at work here? Is there some mysterious preference or setting causing my difficulties?

I could sure use some help from this learned assembly...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 2012 direct-manipulation of UCS icon

Well I'll take a stab at it even though I'm on a much older release.

Look at the UCSICON variable in the help file. There is a value that will "float" the icon to the new origin.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 2012 direct-manipulation of UCS icon

Quote Originally Posted by duhvinci View Post
    Well I'll take a stab at it even though I'm on a much older release.

Look at the UCSICON variable in the help file. There is a value that will "float" the icon to the new origin.
    Ah! Found the problem... The "Noorigin" value was selected off the UCSICON command (probably relates to those variable values you mentioned). Once I turned that off, things went the way they should. Thanks!

For those who might at some point stumble on this thread during a search, it's still important to note that when the "Noorigin" selection pins the icon to the lower left of a clipped (irregular) viewport, it actually pins it to the location it would be if the viewport was rectangular. Moral: Don't play games with the lower left corner of a viewport unless you need to, or until your work "through the window" is done.