Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Central File Syncing Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Central File Syncing Issues

If you want to stick with the car analogy, perhaps the story would go that that your mechanic has told you your brakes are shot, and you've got 200,000 miles on an engine that normally blows a head gasket at 120.

Sadly, you're probably not able to do anything about it, but the problem DOES boil down to the fact that you're pushing those machines harder than they can handle. And, yes, 2012 probably did add more overhead that pushed them over the edge.

All that said, if there is something going on with Worksharing, you might try to turn off the Worksharing Update Frequency.
    Big Purple R ... Options ... crank Worksharing Update Frequency all the way to the left.
    Frankly, I'd be surprised if it helped - the fastest it updates is every 5 seconds, but you never know.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveP; 2011-11-03 at 07:54 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I completely understand that we are pushing these thing to their limits and beyond. As we do with everything in the progression of technology I guess. Everything gets outdated and needs replacing at some point, but has anyone pinpointed a reasoning behind this one specifically? I mean, will there be a report from Autodesk saying that we just can't do this, or will it be, this is an issue lets work at fixing it? I'm hoping for the latter!

I mentioned worksharing because that is the only time the warning comes, and it is only with XP verses W7. If two XP users are working on the same file, no problem. If two users work both in W7, no problems.

Thank you all for replying and thinking thru this with me...

Login to Give a bone

DaveP, you may be on to something here. So far this adjusting the Worksharing Update Frequency to the Manual updates only (far left) has worked. I'd seen this many times, but didn't think this would matter only because The XP user would get the warning as soon as I opened the project to our "Always Open and close from this view" starting view (plain ole' drafting view). I would not have even selected anything or touched anything, just opened it.

Anyway we'll check thru this more tomorrow as I will need to be in the project quite a bit and see how this pans out....thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

According to the Help file, that setting is only for updating the Worksharing Display Mode which shows you who owns what, who has borrowed what, what is out of date, etc.

I was thinking that frequency slider actually determined how often the local file updated the central file in terms of element borrowing, etc. which is not the case. Worksharing Display is new for 2012 which is why that slider is in there now. Would have been nice if it actually said right there in the Options dialog that it's for updating the Worksharing Display Mode.

I can vouch for 2012 having much more overhead. Our conference room PC is an old XP box with 3 GB memory and 2012 absolutely CRAWLS in there. Although I did have one of my projects open in there the other day, and I did a sync operation and haven't seen any error messages, even though our other machines are all Win7. I didn't have anybody else working in the same file on a Win7 machine at the same time, though, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    .....I was thinking that frequency slider actually determined how often the local file updated the central file in terms of element borrowing, etc. which is not the case...

I was thinking along the same lines until I saw the 5 seconds (or sim, can't remember, not in front of me) refresh time and thought, that can't be the case.

As an update, we've not had any more issues this morning when we were both in the model after having made the afore mentioned change. Three or so hours worth with constant changes/ syncs/ save etc. with not one warning. woot woot!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Central File Syncing Issues

I have a client who is having a similar issue. They have 6 new Revit 2012 on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 16 gig DDR3, and a 1tb hard drive computer. The network is full gigabit on HP switches and the file server is the latest version of Openfiler. They all map thru a logon script using //"ip address"/sharename. I have done all the things suggested on the posts previously. The error i get when we sync to the central file is that it is opened by another user (which it isn't) or its read only. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks, John

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We have been having the same issue and have been going crazy..I can't wait to try this solution. Thanks everyone.

One question though...do we make the frequency adjustment on the W7 machines, the XP machines, or both?

Much appreciated....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stevewohlford734221 View Post
    We have been having the same issue and have been going crazy..I can't wait to try this solution. Thanks everyone.

One question though...do we make the frequency adjustment on the W7 machines, the XP machines, or both?

Much appreciated....
    Steve, we made the changes on both machines. Actually on all machines that needed in that particular project, just to be safe. Haven't had any issue since.

Good luck!

Login to Give a bone

We a having the same issue. I can't open a local copy of our Central file. I have the Worksharing Monitor on, and I almost imediately run out of Virtual RAM. We are upgrading to 64bit systems, but I just don't know if that is it. Sometimes I can work all day in the project, other days it just will not let me in, no matter what I do. I feel like shooting myself, but I would probubly mess that up too!

Login to Give a bone

Hi Revit User 1,

Your problem syncronizing the central files begins and ends with those operating systems. Since Windows 7 arrived, we have logged many issues like this. You will need to update the XP operating systems to Windows 7 to get past it.

Revitman- aAECs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast