Thread: Managing Large MULTI-BUILDING Projects

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Managing Large MULTI-BUILDING Projects

Hello Augi Members,

I’m starting to plan for the next phase of a large multi-building project and could us some guidance on what’s the best way to handle moving the project into the detailed design phase.

Currently, the conceptual design involves 9 smaller buildings that are all part of a larger single overall building “campus”. Each smaller building is currently associated with its own Revit file and all are linked into a “Master” Revit file so all building components can be shown as one large single building.

When inside the master file, everything looks great but the file is hard to work with on due to the loading speed of everything ( fyi, Our office uses Revit 2012, a 1GB network, and Win7x64 12GB RAM workstations)

What I would like to do is continue to use the “Master” file as my team’s central file but somehow manage this file to a level where my team can work in it efficiently. I’d like to manage all detailed design drawing sheets for all 9 linked buildings within this one central file. Is it a matter of just unloading worksets and unloading entire buildings from the central file or is there a better way to help speed things up? I’m trying to minimize time and redundancy by using a single central file to set everything up.

If anyone with any experience with working on large multi-building projects such as this could lend some guidance on the best way to approach this I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Managing Large MULTI-BUILDING Projects

If you're working in drafting views only, I believe you could open the file with all user worksets closed. Then you can open a workset one by one as you need them to access different areas of the model.

I have not personally tried this so not totally sure how well it would work in your case.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    If you're working in drafting views only, I believe you could open the file with all user worksets closed. Then you can open a workset one by one as you need them to access different areas of the model.

I have not personally tried this so not totally sure how well it would work in your case.
    I don't think "worksets" was the point of the post.
    I think it was a matter of finding a way to streamline the Master file.

DrBlinky182 - Will all of your sheets be located in individual building file, or in the Master file that references all of them? I think you might have performance issues in the Master file.
    Last edited by sradley; 2011-06-28 at 02:38 PM.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am dealing with a project with similar issues of size and complexity moving into the detailing phase. We have similar issues of what sradley calls streamlining. We also have our sheets in the 'master' project, this means we have to make plans, sections etc in the master model and set them in visibility / graphics to 'by linked view'. One issue with this is how to make sure that the placement of sections and elevations in the master file are placed exactly the same as in the linked projects.

If anyone has a solution to this I would appreciate it - we're not so far into the project that we can't change the setup if needed.

Generally I can't find a guide to dealing with organisation of large files - anyone know of such an authoritative guide?