Thread: View Title Label - Cross Referencing

I could stop if I wanted to Batman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default View Title Label - Cross Referencing

We are very confused by how sheet referencing works on title labels. We have several views that include plans, elevations and sections that where we use a label to reference sheets it displays irrational information. For example a plan view will have the elevation view as a cross reference for it's sheet.

Has anyone used these with success or can anyone give a brief overview of how we can use these effectively?

Much appreciated.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View Title Label - Cross Referencing

First port of call is check your view tag families.
    Select a view tag and open family for editing.
    Then select the tag reference, and check that it actually calls out the correct item (its in a list)

Also do the same check on your view title tags.

Assuming those are all ok, if you cut a section from a pre-existing plan view, then place new section on a sheet, it should work. Secondly, you cant place that section on multiple sheets. Lastly, you need to check the number/letter its assigned to itself. I usually go ahead and name my views (upon creation) to something logical "Section A - Typical Retaining Wall Section RW1" for example. Now I can tell at a glance in my project browser what I'm looking at rather than "Section 23" Then make sure it is actually an A as it will assign it the next sequential number upon creation of how many sections you've cut total.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I also have a View Title that has No Sheet Reference (Just a "-" showing) - Just for this Situation

Login to Give a bone

I seem to remember a similar topic awhile back where one of the forum regulars posted what the logic was behind what shows up in the Reference Sheet field, and it really didn't make much sense at all. For this reason we don't even use the reference sheet/view parameter in our view titles.

Login to Give a bone

The Level acts as a reference.....which is why your elevation sheets are shown as reference sheet. So if you don't show the levels on your elevations they will jump to the next place you show an level.

So like everyone else you can add in a "-" or just not show it... I have a view title type Reference Views and Non-Referenced just for this reason.

Also be weary of how you do enlarged plans. I have seen people duplicate the floor plan then crop it down to size instead of doing a detail plan view...then they wonder why it referencing wrong.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

To my mind, I believe that if you understand exactly what these tags reference, by taking a look at them in the family editor, you will solve all of your problems. Once you understand what the program is looking for you can easily develop families to deal with unreferenced view tags. If you are not referencing the section, perhaps you can get away with a detail view, or legend to go across multiple sheets, instead of cutting a section. Also try setting your section as hidden on scales greater than 1:50 (therefore hidden on your plan at 1:100) and this should also not reference the sheet it's located on. Also if you cut this sheet on a "working plan view" which never gets placed onto a sheet, it will also never reference it in your project.

There are ways around the programming limits once you know what these families are calling up.

Also when you place your view on the sheet, make sure you select the correct tag family for it, there is a default setting, and your other options will show up in a drop down box when you look at the properties for a selected view.