Thread: Invisible Lines For Door

Login to Give a bone

Default Invisible Lines For Door

My apologies if this has been asked before. Please post link to thread if so.

The intent we have for our families is to create ADA bounding boxes in the door families so that the extents show on the plan when inserted. However, we do not want them to print.

How is this accomplished?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Invisible Lines For Door

Put them on a subcategory and then turn off the subcategory.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

I don't believe you can have them visible on-screen when loaded into a project yet automatically not print.

You could do the subcategory thing as Scott mentioned and turn them off just before printing. But that's a per-view thing that could get tedious. You could also just do invisible lines that only display when you hover the mouse over the door. IMHO that would be your best bet.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is something that gets asked for all the time, and here's the deal: you have to really commit to accurately creating and using families with those clearances built in - especially doors.

Because there's so many variations. Push side on a straight-on approach. Push side with a side-approach. Same with the pull-side. And if they change from one side of the door to another? More variation. And active leaf conditions? Revit won't assess the scenario when the door is placed, the user has to do that, and it's then either a Type variation (can wreck havoc on your door schedules, if filtering/sorting by type ever becomes a need) or a whole lot of instance variables, which become MUCH harder to track and manage. And lets not even start on making sure the creator of that family is consistent in building those visibility settings into EVERY door family to be used by that firm so that the workflow is consistent not just from project to project, but within the same project! It needs to be very thoroughly thought through from the beginning.

I now have my teams place separate generic models for the clearance outlines adjacent to the doors, so they are making a conscious assessment. They are visible in working views, but filtered out in documentation views.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Invisible Lines For Door

Quote Originally Posted by nancy.mcclure View Post
    This is something that gets asked for all the time, and here's the deal: you have to really commit to accurately creating and using families with those clearances built in - especially doors.

Because there's so many variations. Push side on a straight-on approach. Push side with a side-approach. Same with the pull-side. And if they change from one side of the door to another? More variation. And active leaf conditions? Revit won't assess the scenario when the door is placed, the user has to do that, and it's then either a Type variation (can wreck havoc on your door schedules, if filtering/sorting by type ever becomes a need) or a whole lot of instance variables, which become MUCH harder to track and manage. And lets not even start on making sure the creator of that family is consistent in building those visibility settings into EVERY door family to be used by that firm so that the workflow is consistent not just from project to project, but within the same project! It needs to be very thoroughly thought through from the beginning.

I now have my teams place separate generic models for the clearance outlines adjacent to the doors, so they are making a conscious assessment. They are visible in working views, but filtered out in documentation views.
    We have created a separate family for door clearances. This is a generic family with line work on a ADA clearances subcategory. There are different types based upon FA vs. SA, Pull vs. Push. These are placed in the project environment. If the code changes we update the type catalog and reload them into the project, overwriting the previous version. You could also nest these families into the doors, with a family type parameter to allow you to switch them out. If you make these clearance families shared, then you should only need to edit the family in the project browser for them to update everywhere in the project. If you did not make them shared you would need to update each door family. Not very much fun. But, do you really wanna add more information to your door families?

Jeff S.