Thread: "View Range" is beyond frustrating

Login to Give a bone

Default "View Range" is beyond frustrating

I've read through this:
    http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2010/...umber=d0e19382
    which only makes it worse (seriously, who writes the Autodesk documentation?...)

In the example it shows the Top and Level as Associated, but the Level value is below the top value, if I try and do that Revit yells at me.

HOW does it work that in the example that Autodesk uses to teach what these things mean do they get away with using a value that Revit itself won't allow to exist?

That said, I don't understand then how "view depth" is shown *below* the bottom plane in that graphic, yet Revit requires it to be *above* the value set for the top plane?

can anyone that actually understands how the View Range fields tell me how they work or show me a website (and not a youtube video please) on how it actually works?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "View Range" is beyond frustrating

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "Top and Level are associated". Each plane (top, cut, bottom, depth) is associated with a level, and an offset from that level, unless you change them to Unlimited which can cause some problems in my experience.

The diagrams in that help file look pretty accurate and helpful to me. The View Depth must ALWAYS be at or below the bottom plane of the primary view range. Depth can never be above the bottom of the range.

That first graphic in the link shows exactly how view range works for a plan view, as displayed graphically in a section/elevation view. I'm not sure how it could be better described. What is the exact problem you're having?

Login to Give a bone

Are you in a RCP?

Login to Give a bone

But that's my point, the view depth level as shown in the example won't work, Revit yells at me.

yes, I'm in an RCP

Login to Give a bone

In an RCP, you're looking upwards, so View Depth has to be beyond (above) the top clip plane. Just think of that same first graphic in the link, but with the blue View Depth area as being above the green Primary Range area.

So when looking down in a plan view, View Depth must be at or below the bottom clip plane.

When looking up in an RCP view, View Depth must be at or above the top clip plane.

Also in an RCP view, the cut plane and bottom clip plane are always set to the same value. So looking at the graphic in the help file, an RCP view range would show the Bottom and Cut plane at the same level, cutting through the middle of the room. The Top plane would be up just below the ceiling, and the View Depth would likely be up at the floor level above.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by TinCanFury View Post
    I've read through this:
    http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2010/...umber=d0e19382
    which only makes it worse (seriously, who writes the Autodesk documentation?...)
    If you want to comment directly to the author of this documentation you can leave comments at the wiki help page for this topic.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...0-View_Ran1630

You can explain how this page did not help you and suggest how we can make it better. You can even alter it yourself to make it better if you like.