Thread: How does something get stuck under <no level>?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default How does something get stuck under <no level>?

I've got a handful of concrete grade beams in my model. Revit knows that they are structural framing associated with Level 01. It lists Level 01 as its reference level with identical starting/ending offsets of -1'-4".

Once the model comes into NW, the beams do not appear under Level 01 and instead appear in the last tree heading, which is shown <no level>.

Selecting the beam in NW will also reveal the program knows it belongs to Level 01, but for some reason, won't move it to the correct location in the Selection Tree.

Anyone know what is going on? I understand why Stairs and Railings appear here, but framing?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How does something get stuck under <no level>?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe it to be true. So of the elements in the Revit model do not internally in their structure have the parameter that is being read out in the exporter to create the level reference in Navisworks. With structural framing it only has a parameter internally called reference level which is then not translated.
    I have heard of numerous different methods to work through this, the most common of which appears to be exporting multiple NWCs from Revit with only 1 level of information in them so then rather than tracking the layer reference in Navis you only look at the file to determine the level that an element belongs to.
    I do this slightly differently by exporting the data from the revit elements and then recombining the model and the data in navisworks with a custom property tab. Personally i do this by exporting the data using BIMLink and then reincorporating it with a 3rd party app for Navis called iConstruct. this allows me to only have to look at 1 property tab in navisworks for all of the parameters i want to see.
    I have head of other tools that can do this also but have not tried them yet.

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: How does something get stuck under <no level>?

Quote Originally Posted by RevitNinja View Post
    I've got a handful of concrete grade beams in my model. Revit knows that they are structural framing associated with Level 01. It lists Level 01 as its reference level with identical starting/ending offsets of -1'-4".

Once the model comes into NW, the beams do not appear under Level 01 and instead appear in the last tree heading, which is shown <no level>.

Selecting the beam in NW will also reveal the program knows it belongs to Level 01, but for some reason, won't move it to the correct location in the Selection Tree.

Anyone know what is going on? I understand why Stairs and Railings appear here, but framing?
    That is actually a great question. Alas, I have been using Navis for so long, I just know that framing objects, as well as stair and railing objects always come in under no level which is odd. Anyone from the factory care to weigh in here? Paul perhaps?

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes! IConstruct is an extremely good tool to use in conjunction with Navisworks. I like the custom property tabs and customization of clash reports as well! Very awesome!

I believe you are right in terms of the internal data that is read. Except that on numerous files, it does not seems to matter what level beams are associated with, they always seem to come in under no level.
    Regards,

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

My revit objects tend to come in on the correct location specified by the Archies or Structural gang..

My main problem with the Revit files is we're doing a "copy exact" from another site and have to keep everything the same, orientation wise, rotation, elevation.. It's definitely been a challenge trying to make sure they check the correct boxes when they export. I can usually tell right away because eiter the arch or struc will end up 94 miles away from everyone else. Even though the actual site we're copying is in Hillsboro, OR and we're in Phoenix.. (a little more than 94 miles I'd say)..

I do have debris fields under a lot of my models that look like the fleet from Battlestar Galactica is coming in for an attack. Some stray above the models but, I'd say 90% end up below. A lot of that has to do with cleaning up the actual Autocad MEP drawings before they send them to me though.

Fun times... Back to my clash reports.. Uggh..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in a unique situation with NW at my company. We are an A/E firm with no construction or CM function. NW is pretty much an internal coordination tool used when Architecture is being done in one office and Engineering is being done in another. The other game-changer is that we ONLY use Revit. So all of our workflow and documentation is written with respect to how NW treats Revit models, which I am beginning to see is a little but of a struggle for it.

Exporting Structural or MEP models by Level is generally not a problem. It is also possible to use the Find tool to isolate specific types of elements and group them by associated Level...that is, until you get to the types of elements that place themselves under <no level>

Without buying/learning/implementing iconstruct (which does sound cool btw) I think that the best option would be to run my typical search sets say, "Level 1 HVAC" against something broader like "Structural Framing." Essentially that would identify the clashes between HVAC and structure, and if clashes did occur, its a safe bet that they did so on Level 1.

I hope that the factory gets a lot of these quirks worked out, because I think this program has a lot of potential.