5 31.25%
  • Not in Favor

9 56.25%
  • Not sure

2 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting idea: adding wall layers

Default Re: Interesting idea: adding wall layers

Would it solve some of what you are wishing for if you were able to push and pull layers of a wall in plan similarly to how you can push and pull wall layers in section? For example you have a wall that is made up of gyp/stud/plywood/brick, at the end of that wall you could grab just the layer of brick and pull it beyond the end of the gyp/stud/plywood.

This could also be a solution to the wall join problem that in my mind has always been a pain, when you have many layers on a particular wall it doesn't always join how you want at the corners or intersections.

Or, what if you could somehow use the "split face" and "edit cut profile" tools in tandem edit a wall. Say for instance, in the example above, I wanted to cut away just the brick in one area, leaving the backup wall, to insert a book shelf. But to make things difficult, in plan one side of this cutout in the brick, the ends of the brick are rounded into the opening...

This would also allow you to have a long run of, say gyp/stud/gyp wall, that somewhere in the middle you have a cavity wall that springs off of this, well you wouldn't need to split the wall and create a new wall type, you can just trim off the gyp board inside the cavity.

...and while we're on the subject of the materials of walls...why the heck is the wrapping of them not controlled at an instance level? I always wind up with 3 different families of what is basically the same wall, all of them having their wrapping setting different to fill a particular need.

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar

Just keep in mind that wishing for things like the ability to make a different "type" of wall by adding a layer without creating a new Revit walltype has many dangers when it comes to full implementation of BIM. I alway tell everyone that will listen that you always need to keep in mind how your ODBC export will look and how estimating programs like Timberline will work with your Revit building database.

Even if you presently do not export your Revit database to Timberline, I think it is good practice to think in estimating terms as in my opinion it is the future if not the present.

Tom

I know my answer years late, and unsure how many use AUGI anymore. This is an idea to resolve the extra layer required without editing the base wall type. Create a wall type with just this layer. So if you require just an extra piece of plasterboard, create a wall type called plasterboard and align back face to front face of base wall, tweak end to suit

100 Club

Quote Originally Posted by wrmarshall View Post
    I know my answer years late, and unsure how many use AUGI anymore. This is an idea to resolve the extra layer required without editing the base wall type. Create a wall type with just this layer. So if you require just an extra piece of plasterboard, create a wall type called plasterboard and align back face to front face of base wall, tweak end to suit
    Someone did mention that earlier in the string and I agree with this solution. One way to make it better would be to allow the wall layer to not be a core layer. Currently a wall has to consist of at least one core layer which causes issues joining to the proper layers of the existing wall types.
    It would be nice to have an additional wall category call Finish Walls in addition to the existing Basic Wall, Curatin Wall and Stacked Wall that allows you to make walls consisting of only finish and thermal layers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12