Thread: How to schedule IFC, DWG or SAT Solids volumes

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to schedule IFC, DWG or SAT Solids volumes

Hello

We've got here a problem that no Autodesk's Support Techie coud resolve...

We are on a boat lock project and have to deal with some subcontractors to compute earthworks managment (nr of trucks, temporary stock volume, gravels quantities to reuse, etc... on a time schedule)

We've made the building part of the project in Revit and the grounds/geologic surfaces in CIVIL3D

but now we have also to be able to use the type of data the contractor can exchange with us :
    ~2000 "cubes" with their top and botom surfaces inherited from the géological layers.

They can export the "cubes" as DWG (polyface mesh) or to IFC only

_for IFC I can import them directly in Revit and see the volume of each block in its properties
    _for DWG I have first to convert them to mesh then to surfaces then finaly to Solids (!) to could import them in a Revit Family as DWG or SAT file

But !

Whatever the format I use I never have been able to schedule the volumes of those elements (I can add them a parameter for the material, for the area, for the phase but - even if I can see it in the IFC properties - I cannot list their volumes in a schedule !!!

Do you have a solution ?

(I know that I can compute all my quantities more acurately in CIVIL with my surfaces but we need to be able to control their calculations using their models and their "blocks"!)

Thank you very much ;o)

[edit] huh !? AUGI do not accept IFC & SAT attachments ! so I've put DWG, SAT and IFC in the ZIP ;o)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by opesch; 2011-07-07 at 07:09 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to schedule IFC, DWG or SAT Solids volumes

You might suggest trying Navisworks, which can combine a lot of different file types,
    not too sure about scheduling in NW?

Just a thought, as this probably won't work with Revit as the object need to be native for scheduling?

Nesting a Cad file in a Revit family could work for scheduling in Revit, perhaps?

cheers

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to schedule IFC, DWG or SAT Solids volumes

Hi

Thank you for your answer ! ;o)

I haven't play a lot with Navisworks (I'veyet done only one annimation) but one of my collegue which do lots of timeliner annimation on our Navis Simulate 2012 license said me that it is not possible....

Do you have some experiences or ressources ?

I always nest volumic CAD objects in families so I can cut in them in revit ! ;o)

but I can only read the volume on the properties pane.... not get it list in a schedule.... !

I know that we can export Revit projetcs to ODBC or Excell but I havent found how to do it and then extract this data to get i.e. "the amount of gravel to excavate in phase 1 of area B2" while being able to show the layer (and the others) being cut in a Building Section

If any could help me.... =o/