Thread: Split Profile Mid-Pipe

Login to Give a bone

Default Split Profile Mid-Pipe

I have a waterline profile that I need to split (too long for one sheet). I can reasonably fit the run from STA 10+00-24+00 in one viewport.

I started by creating the full profile (STA 10+00-26+10.37), then changed the Profile View Properties to only show through station 24+00. I also unchecked the various elements of the pipe network that fall after that station - a few structures and pipes.

However, since the last pipe straddles this point, the portion of it that is outside my range is showing up very odd - the pipe takes a dive to the bottom of the profile. I would prefer to just have it show the first part of that pipe, if that's possible.

This is a new problem for me, as it's a waterline profile. In LDD, we typically break water profiles at a major station, wherever is convenient for the sheet layout. With my Civil3D storm and sanitary systems, I've broken the profiles at structures.

The "before" image shows what I get before I truncate the profile; the "after" shows the pipe taking a dive, after I've changed the station range and unchecked the other network elements.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if you know it can't be done, I can just give up and break it at a bend, I suppose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Split Profile Mid-Pipe

Jennifer, rather than physically trim the profile, leave that alone and use viewports to control the display of the profile view.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

I'm looking into that. Would I have to go to the trouble of using the view frames and sheets wizards? I gave those a once-over,a nd they seem pretty involved for what I want.

I've attached an image of what we were producing in LDD. Obviously, those are not the actual profiles (and I wasn't using pipes, just polylines). We would generate profiles from the existing and proposed surfaces, then sketch in the polyline for the watermain. For production, we'd copy and paste each of the profiles, in segments that fit on a sheet, and label them up.

I can easily change my viewport in C3D to stop at STA 24+00, but I don't get the elevation callouts, like I usually would at the right and left edges of a profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by j_r_sorenson View Post
    I'm looking into that. Would I have to go to the trouble of using the view frames and sheets wizards?
    You *could*, but don't have to.
    I can easily change my viewport in C3D to stop at STA 24+00, but I don't get the elevation callouts, like I usually would at the right and left edges of a profile.
    It's messy and sort of a kludge, but you could create a second, tall narrow viewport that would contain the elevations along the edge (and obviously match up the two vps). We had to do something similar recently when some cross sections were too wide for the sheet - break them up into two viewports using double break lines in PS.

Login to Give a bone

That sounds functional to me. It was always going to require some manipulation, and this keeps it to a minimum.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

That sounds functional to me. It was always going to require some manipulation, and this keeps it to a minimum.

Thanks!
    As luck would have it, I have the same issue right now.
    What I'm doing in this case is splitting the profile using the tools on the ELEVATION tab of the Profile View Properties. Enter your match line stations and then assign the "Intermediate View" style to all sections to get vertical elevations on each "section" of the overall profile view.

See images below.

splitme.jpg

splitprofile.jpg

Login to Give a bone

Even better, thanks!