Thread: Autodesk Content Service Error

Active Member Neo_Richard_Blake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Content Service Error

Okay, so I'm not sure where to post this exactly, but I figure this is the best place for the time being. For the future, having a new section for Autodesk Content Service in the Autodesk Collaboration Tools or Autodesk Data Management areas of the forum would be nice.

Anyone with knowledge of the new Content Explorer in AutoCAD 2012, I need help. I am using LT, but my issue is on the server side with Autodesk Content Service. I have been working with my IT personnel to solve this, but neither of us knows what to do. Content Service was installed on our server a couple of weeks ago, at my request, and it worked. I checked it myself to make sure that I could attach my AutoCAD LT 2012 Content Explorer, and it worked. I could see some drawings and their contents, but most were still being indexed. I haven't had a need for it until just a few days ago. I tried to search, thinking how cool it was that I now had the ability, but my Content Explorer wouldn't attach to the server. It turns out that the service stopped on the server, and now won't restart. For obvious reasons, we don't want to reboot the server, but we have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Content Service on the server without a change in the result. Is anyone else having issues like this?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Content Service Error

Why not install it on your PC instead?

Login to Give a bone

We are using the program to provide search capabilities to our network folders. From my understanding, this is done by installing Content Service on the computer which houses these shared folders. Installing on my computer won't allow access to these folders. Or even if that does work, that means that my workstation would then become the host for searching the network folders. If my computer is off, searches wouldn't be possible, therefore the server would be the ideal place for this.

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried logging this into Subscription Support yet?

Other than that, at the server, look into the Computer Management interface, and see what credentials are used for the service, and what it's startup type is. Try stopping and restarting it manually, and look into EventViewer to see what, if any, messages are being logged there. Hopefully that will give you a clue to follow, required dependencies, etc.

Perhaps try running ProcessMonitor while trying to start the service manually, just gto et more data....

I've played with this at home, but since it can't deal with NAS of *Nix servers, I'ts pretty much useless for me. The idea is nice, but the implementation is alpha-grade at best. Your'e braver than I am to install an untested application like that on a mission-critical production server.

Login to Give a bone

I didn't realize it was so untested. I just wanted the features that it's supposed to have. Oh well...I've lived without those for this long, I can do a little longer. Maybe we'll play with it off the grid first. That way we don't mess anything up. And I'll also get checking with subscription support...We'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions, cadtag.