Thread: How do you represent threaded or tapped holes?

Login to Give a bone

Default How do you represent threaded or tapped holes?

Hey everyone:

I'm using vanilla Acad 2006. I draw solids, then use SOLPROF to make conventional hidden line prints. How do you represent threads in this manner?

For blind tapped holes, I'll actually draw a pilot hole with a cone point, then a larger cylinder where the threads are and subtract it all. This looks pretty ok and visually makes sense.

However, if a tapped hole is through (say and M6 for example), my print theoretically should have a "continuous" circle shown at 5mm and a hidden circle shown at 6mm.

How to represent this? If I draw a second cylinder and do a union, the material is absorbed and there's no hidden line from SOLPROF. If I draw a second cylinder and just leave it, then I've got an entire additional group of entities to maintain besides the actual object. What do you guys do?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you represent threaded or tapped holes?

I've been considering this conundrum myself. What I currently do, rather than using a subtraction of a solid for a hole (or tapped hole in this case), is I use a block representing a tap. The block is constructed of a nested top block and 2 nested side blocks. Each of those blocks also have the centerlines as a part of the block.

My belief is this makes for a more compactly sized model. After SOLPROFing the model it does require some custom lisp to explode the "3d" block, deleting the extraneous blocks and flattening them to the z plane. Also in the case of a through hole (or tap) I need to extend or trim the block as needed but that is also facilitated by a lisp routine.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tdswanson View Post
    Hey everyone:

I'm using vanilla Acad 2006. I draw solids, then use SOLPROF to make conventional hidden line prints. How do you represent threads in this manner?

For blind tapped holes, I'll actually draw a pilot hole with a cone point, then a larger cylinder where the threads are and subtract it all. This looks pretty ok and visually makes sense.

However, if a tapped hole is through (say and M6 for example), my print theoretically should have a "continuous" circle shown at 5mm and a hidden circle shown at 6mm.

How to represent this? If I draw a second cylinder and do a union, the material is absorbed and there's no hidden line from SOLPROF. If I draw a second cylinder and just leave it, then I've got an entire additional group of entities to maintain besides the actual object. What do you guys do?
    I haven't use SOLPROF in a wicked long time, and I'm not sure what your particular industry is.. but what I would do is:
    Create your smaller diameter cylinder to go through your object, create a larger diameter cylinder (centered to your first cylendar) but keep the top below the surface of your object, then subrtract them both from your object. If you were to use the "hide" command you would only see the smaller hole through the object.

Now go into PS viewport do your SOLPROF and say yes to put hidden lines on their own layer. Then on that layer, make it a hidden linetype.

See my crude example attached. AutoCAD created the two layers PH-2861 and PV-2861. PH-2681 has the hidden entites, so I assigned the linetype HIDDEN2 to that layer. Don't know why it didn't do it automatically?

Login to Give a bone

is that situation not covered by GD&T standards?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    is that situation not covered by GD&T standards?
    I don't think the OP is asking about how they should look, but how to accomplish the look by using solids, then generating the 2d view.