See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Shared Coordinates between Arch & Structural Models

Login to Give a bone

Default Shared Coordinates between Arch & Structural Models

Im having issues getting my elevations (currently showing actuall above sea level elevations) to match the architects elevations ( currently showing elevations from a 100 mark). The architect set up a new site location in there model to get there elevations to change from above sea level to the 100 mark. The model locations have not changed and currently linked correctly but when i set my elevation base for all my elevation levels and spot elevations to shared instead of project they dont change to match. The shared coordinate system is synchronized (at least when i aquire them i get a pop up box that tells me the shared coordinate system is already synchronized) so everything seems to be setup properly. I have done this before in the past and it usually works but this one time it seems to not work. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it!!!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Coordinates between Arch & Structural Models

Taking a stab at it...

Your project's levels are showing "actual elevation above sea level" now? Such as Level 1 @ 45'-0"? Said another way, you started out by putting the levels at actual elevations instead of just starting out with a project elevation of zero like the default template?

Did the architect do the same? or did they put their "zero" elevation level at 100' instead?

Sorry for the twenty questions but making sure we understand the "facts" will help.

Login to Give a bone

Yes the architects model was started as above sea level (actual) elevations. Then after I linked there model in and began buidling the structural model over there architectural model they changed site locations to work off of default 100 mark. So there linked in model shows first floor at 100'-0" but my model still shows the originall (actual) elevation of 864'-0". But yes the architect initially started as first floor at 864'-0". Thanks for the response.

Login to Give a bone

I did a little test:

1. Architects model has levels set to 864'-0" level 1 - Saved
    2. Structure model has levels set to 0'-0" level 1
    3. Import Architecture model - model's Level 1 is 864'-0" above Level 1
    4. Move Structure levels to match - Level 1 is now 864'-0" - Save File
    5. Architecture model - Use Relocate Project to "move" project down to 100'-0" (Level 1) - Save File
    6. Open Structure - model still in same place - Arch shows 100'-0", Structure shows 864'-0"
    7. Use Acquire Coordinates - Change Elevation Base parameter for levels to Shared - now shows 100'-0"

Any of the steps not true for you too? From your original post I suspect that the last item is where we differ?

To reset the shared coordinates, to eliminate the message dialog: "The shared coordinate system of the project you selected is already synchronized with the current project".
    1. Create a new project file - Save as "FixSharedCoordinates.rvt" - I put a single wall near origin just so there is something in the model. Save it.
    2. Open Structure model - Import RVT (FixSharedCoordinates.rvt) - Use Auto - Origin to Origin
    3. Acquire Coordinates from the new file instead - Save
    4. Verify that Elevation Base: Project shows 864'-0" again
    5. Acquire Coordinates from the Architect's file again - Save
    6. Verify that Elevation Base: Shared now shows 100'-0"

HTH
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2011-07-21 at 02:41 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Although i thought your theory of establishing shared coordinates from a different model and then back to the original arch model was a great idea, unfortunately it didnt work. I did get rid of shared coord from the arch model but once i aqquired again and changed my base elevation to shared...no change.Here is exactly (step by step) how i began this modeling proccess.

1) Architect model has level set to 864'-0" (based on geo positioning site plan...my guess)
    2) Structure default template has level one at 100'-0" (but i delete once arch model is imported...see below on why)
    3) Import Architecture model (Auto-origin to origin)
    4) Copy/Monitor levels and grids from architecural model to establish my framing references. (Both arch model and structural models match exactly b/c of copy/monitor at level 1 = 864'-0")
    5) Afterwards Architect creates new site location called [shared 0,0,0] and uses this site locaton instead of the default [internal]. This establishes the new architect level at 1 to be 100'-0".
    6) Upload new architect model and reload.
    7) Arch model is still in same location but with new elevations shown as 100'-0".
    Acquire coodinates to bring in shared coordinates from architectural model.
    9) Switch my elevation based to shared....and no change on my end.

I appoligize as i should have shown my step by step in the previous post.

When this first happened my initial though was that i was still pulling shared coordinates from the original internal site location from the architects model so i had them delete the default (internal) and send a new file which i uploaded and relinked to find out nothing changed. Hence why i though when i first read your reply about losing the shared coordinates and restablishing them would work.

In my 5 years of revit and lead tech at my firm ive never been so stumped. lol

Do you think it has something to do with copy/monitor?

Appreciate the help!!

Login to Give a bone

There are few steps that you / Arch might be missing.
    After step 4. Did you Acquire coordinates for the Arch model?
    Did you send your model to the Arch to link in (by shared coordinates) your model before they relocated the project?
    If the above was not done.
    Open the Arch model and reload in your model. Click on your model and publish the coordinates. Save the Arch model.

This should solve the issue of coordinates

Login to Give a bone

Joe I did not have copy/monitor involved in my attempt to mimic your process. I also wasn't using worksets. Worksets don't seem to matter but C/M does. When I did things in the order you describe I can reproduce the issue.

Try these steps:

1. Stop Monitoring the Levels
    2. Remove the Architecture link
    3. Reassign the shared coordinates using the "Fix Coordinates" technique I mentioned before
    4. Import the Architecture link again
    5. Remove the other "Fix Coordinates" project.
    6. Acquire coordinates from Architecture again it should fix the issue.
    7. If it works, use Monitor to let Revit keep an "eye" on the Levels again.