Thread: Clash Detection Viewpoints

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Clash Detection Viewpoints

I just made a discovery that allows you to make a clash report using viewpoints, is this a 2012 feature? Pretty cool.

Question is - is there a way to predefine the viewpoint before the export of thr report. I'm looking for auto adjustment. I know you can manually set them up, but I want to predefine the FOV, the lighting, render mode and if lines are visible. How do I do that?

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Clash Detection Viewpoints

If you figure that one out RFB, definitely let me know..

I can have all the render styles unchecked before running the report but, it'll turn them all back on for each result I create.

As for the viewpoints, yes, that feature is available in 2011. Half of my Clash Detection Team likes the Viewpoints, the other likes the .html output. I have them all running NW Manage so they can actually look at the results in the report itself.

I'd also like to see where we can make the Viewpoints we create from the Clash Report LOOK like the results you see IN the Clash Report. I.E. Under Display Tab, Auto Reveal, Auto Zoom, Save Viewpont, Highlight All, Dim Other, Transparent Dimming, and Simulation all checked.

The clashes are much easier to see in the Results tab where as in the viewpoint, it turns everything back on and takes out the transparent qualities etc...
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

I Agree.

I find the clash report viewpoints ABSOLUTELY USELESS because all the other building elements are turned on, thus obscuring all the clashes. The ONLY POINT of the viewpoint clash would be if you could get views like in the clash detection and the Tabular report views.

If someone knows how to get the clash view in the viewpoint report PLEASE let us know.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I was able to export an .avi of some clashes using the actual view settings (x-ray?) from the clash report for a demostration video once. Not an ideal format to email but a nice way to share a clash report with someone who does not have manage. If the frame rates were set right, you might be able to export individual jpgs for each clash? I'm on holidays right now but I'll check how I did did it in the new year and post if anyone is interested.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I believe that you can add ellipse, lines, text and such from the "redline tools" to the view in clash detective and that it will export to the viewpoints.

If you create keyboard shortcuts for those and your preferred walk or fly style it's really quick to do this.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by steve.perkio View Post
    I believe that you can add ellipse, lines, text and such from the "redline tools" to the view in clash detective and that it will export to the viewpoints.

If you create keyboard shortcuts for those and your preferred walk or fly style it's really quick to do this.
    You're correct about that Steve but, when you're dealing with a giant processing facility, the location that NW picks to view the clash is just a bit too far away from the clash itself. When you save it as a viewpoint, all your layers and transparency settings go back to normal and you won't see the clash at all.

One of my sites is just using the clash detective to find the clashes, then pulling back and creating viewpoints with notes and artwork just like you mentioned and then saving that. Then they write that out manually to a spreadsheet with no links back to the actual clash that you're working on when you correct those views.

It's very frustrating and VERY time consuming to create all those viewpoints and track them when you're dealing with facilities that are sitting at 5000+ clashes at the beginning of the day.

Then as they're resolved, you don't know how or what got resolved.

For now, I've got my clash detection teams from each discipline opening NW Manage and viewing the .nwd files I create where they can actually see the clashes. That's a pretty expensive option and would be much nicer if the viewpoints from the clashes themselves could be saved for viewing with Simulate.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!