Thread: Reload Latest on open project

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Reload Latest on open project

I'm considering getting into the Revit API to start automating some of the tasks I encounter no a regular basis. I've been scripting in Rhino for some time (VBScript), so I'm not adverse to learning how to interact with the Revit API, either VB.NET or C#. However, I wanted to check that I'm not reinventing the wheel with my first task: I want to Reload Latest every time a I open a Workshared file. Does this already exist? What are good sources for Revit scripts? Do people share them somewhere?

Many thanks for any helpful information.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reload Latest on open project

The proper workflow when using worksharing is to ALWAYS navigate to and open the Central file stored on your office server. Since 2011 there has been a "Create New Local" check box at the bottom of the File Open dialog, which automatically creates a new local file on your machine from that Central file, which means you always have the latest model with latest changes.

We have made it a policy to never continue working in the same local file. A new file is created at least every morning, if not more often than that.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reload Latest on open project

Why is that necessary? I did just found in the User's Guide this statement:
    "It is good practice to create a local copy of the central model every day. Creating a new local copy ensures a local copy is always on your hard drive each time you begin modifying a project."

But it doesn't explain why creating a new local copy every day is better than just keeping your local file up-to-date.

What's the advantage? I can't think of any and I see it as an annoyance (granted, it would be quite small), to open the central every day and save a new local before I start working. Besides, that has the danger of a user overwriting their previous local that may not have been synchronized.

Saving any computer file is like a nervous tick... you get in the habit of doing it all the time. My project team syncs every 30-60 minutes.