Thread: Polar Stretch and Linear Stretch don't work together?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Polar Stretch and Linear Stretch don't work together?

Polar Stretch and Linear Stretch work properly independently, but when their "grip points" are overlayed and I'm trying to stretch the right side and stretch and rotate the bottom side of the drawing - Polar Stretch is screwing up.

The idea is to NOT to use them separately, but with one stroke having "grip points" overlayed all the time.

See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Polar Stretch and Linear Stretch don't work together?

Rather than overlaying them, you might consider chaining them. The idea is that you have one controlling parameter and grip that activates a second chained parameter which has its grip hidden.

Login to Give a bone

^ How is that done? I'm new to dynamic blocks stuff.
    Last edited by gino.timonin944148; 2011-08-02 at 09:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I took a look at the dynamic block you posted and I’m not sure if I understand what you’re trying to accomplish. Since you want to be able to make all your moves with a single grip, it seems to me that you don’t even need a polar stretch. A linear stretch might do just what you need. I played around with your block a bit—take a look and see if you can use any of it to accomplish your goals. I got rid of the polar stretch and used the regular stretch to lengthen the vertical line on the right and to stretch (and rotate) the diagonal line. One stretch action can do both things since you want the behaviors to be simultaneous. I added a couple of move actions to the same distance parameter so your note and additional horizontal lines would keep up with the lines being stretched. I had to change the speed at which they moved to speed up the horizontal line and slow down the note. You can change the speed at which things move by selecting and highlighting the move action and then going to properties and altering the “distance modifier.”

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sandrews.253556 View Post
    I took a look at the dynamic block you posted and I’m not sure if I understand what you’re trying to accomplish. Since you want to be able to make all your moves with a single grip, it seems to me that you don’t even need a polar stretch. A linear stretch might do just what you need. I played around with your block a bit—take a look and see if you can use any of it to accomplish your goals. I got rid of the polar stretch and used the regular stretch to lengthen the vertical line on the right and to stretch (and rotate) the diagonal line. One stretch action can do both things since you want the behaviors to be simultaneous. I added a couple of move actions to the same distance parameter so your note and additional horizontal lines would keep up with the lines being stretched. I had to change the speed at which they moved to speed up the horizontal line and slow down the note. You can change the speed at which things move by selecting and highlighting the move action and then going to properties and altering the “distance modifier.”
    Polar stretch is needed to keep the corner notches at the right angles. Just a stretch won't work, 'cause it changes angles and width of the sloped side flange.

How do I "chain" two actions?

Login to Give a bone

To chain two parameters, first decide which one is the primary parameter. The primary parameter is the one that your user will grip in order to operate the block. Also, you want to make sure that only one grip shows for that primary parameter and no grips should show for your secondary parameter--you don’t want your user to be able to select the wrong grip. (You can change this in properties.) Second, select and highlight the secondary parameter, go to properties, and select “Chain Actions” = yes. Third, go to the action of your primary parameter and right-click it. Select “action selection set” > “modify selection set.” Add just the parameter of your secondary chained parameter to your selection set. Don’t add any of the drawing objects. Now test your block. When you activate the grip for your primary parameter it should automatically activate the secondary parameter.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sandrews.253556 View Post
    To chain two parameters, first decide which one is the primary parameter. The primary parameter is the one that your user will grip in order to operate the block. Also, you want to make sure that only one grip shows for that primary parameter and no grips should show for your secondary parameter--you don’t want your user to be able to select the wrong grip. (You can change this in properties.) Second, select and highlight the secondary parameter, go to properties, and select “Chain Actions” = yes. Third, go to the action of your primary parameter and right-click it. Select “action selection set” > “modify selection set.” Add just the parameter of your secondary chained parameter to your selection set. Don’t add any of the drawing objects. Now test your block. When you activate the grip for your primary parameter it should automatically activate the secondary parameter.
    I did exactly per your instructions and it turns out that Linear stretch doesn't activate polar stretch in Chained Actions. But Polar stretch activates Linear, which is not something I need, 'cause I want one line to be just stretching (not changing anlge) and the other stretching and rotating.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Is this getting any closer to what you hope for?
    The Lower Plines have been exploded for testing.
    There are a number of problems with it at this time. The ends of the base line do not stay square (the left end I understand why the right end I don't).
    The dimension extension lines get longer, and I've not worried about the text at all.

What I would like for you to see is that more than one Action can be tied to a single Parameter. There should be a way to accomplish your goal. Wish I could help more.

Login to Give a bone

^ Yes, that's how I wanted to make it work. I tried all types of constraints, but they don't "behave" properly. To keep corners square and dimension not dancing around I had to use polar stretch. But then it wouldn't work if the "grab" points are overlayed...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I found this post searching for chained and there was an good explanation of how to chain actions in dynamic blocks which I had not yet figured out. Anyway SANDREWS post helped me to figure out how to have an iso bubble with an attribute in it and the only grip is the end of the line you want to stretch and point at something. I have attached the block I was able to create with some directions of how I did this. Just like he explained with maybe a dab more details. I waited until I made sure it worked to hide the extra grips. This now works perfectly and definitely want to thank you for the post and directions.