Thread: Project Navigator = Data Hog!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Project Navigator = Data Hog!!!

I recently installed a Network Meter on my office computer. It shows that I am uploading and downloading about 200-300 kb/s each in both categories at the same time. I did a bit of investigation and realized when I have the Project Navigator open, it is keeping a constant line of communication open to the server where the projects reside.

Now I am not necessarily doing anything in Project Navigator. This is just when it is open. If I create, open, delete or save a file then my network speed spikes but it always comes back to 200-300 kb/s.

We experience slowdowns on our network when multiple people have it open and this makes sense. We will be doing further testing. I did a search on here to see if anyone else has experienced this and I see that people are experiencing slowdowns with it but no one seems to have made this connection.

Has anyone noticed this? Thoughts?

-Clint

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project Navigator = Data Hog!!!

Alight, I'm looking into this further this morning. I opened the Project Navigator on several computers this morning to see how far I could tax our server. What I discovered is that only Windows 7 computers are transmitting 200/300 kb/s of data on upload & download each. Computers with Windows XP does not transmit any data. You can easily verify this by going to the Task Manager & looking on the Networking tab. You may have to turn on some additional columns to read how much data but you should see a spike in your data rate. Then, close the Project Navigator and all data stream should disappear unless you are doing other things on the internet or elsewhere.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

-Clint