Thread: Need to buy CPU for daughter-3D animation student

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Need to buy CPU for daughter-3D animation student

Hello,
    Non-tech mom needs help! Please don't recommend me building a system...not gonna happen! Daughter is an animation major. needs something that will run Maya and do rendering. Budget around $2200. Don't need monitor. Graphics card is a priority, but very confusing to me. Looked at some Dell Precision cpus. One had a 1GB ATI FirePro V4800, Triple MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI card and one had a 512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 580, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI card. Processor is al Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5606, 2.13GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need to buy CPU for daughter-3D animation student

First one sounded pretty good....Price wise both vid cards are the same, but the ATI is a bit better for memory and OpenGL capabilities...Not sure if this comparison will work....Everything else is good...Xeon's are awesome....(can you buy me one?)

The only thing you didn't mention was the Operating System and RAM....be sure its 64bit Windows 7 and try to get 12gb or more of RAM...8gb at a minimum though...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need to buy CPU for daughter-3D animation student

As a former Animation student myself, I also purchased a Dell Precision workstation (dual Xeon processors), which was 32-Bit Operating System back then. I set up a business account with them (back then), without a Tax ID, and paid almost half-price for my workstation.

I found it to be fantastic for my work (Modeling, Texturing, Lighting, Rigging, Animating, etc.), and even for the rendering of scenes for my weekly animation assignments.

The problem I ran into though, was that I could not do any work while rendering (30 seconds of video x 30 frames per second x 11:17 minutes per rendered frame)... I ended up getting a second computer to act as my render farm, while I continued refining my animation, and or post production video / audio editing on the first.

Hopefully you find that the 64-Bit processing that will most likely come with your new Dell will be sufficient.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000