Thread: "Hardware" and other categories?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default "Hardware" and other categories?

In the family editor today, I noticed a curious thing. The family editor seems to think that there are categories for Hardware, Landings, Runs, Steps, Segments, and a few other categories that weren't there in 2011. In fact, I haven't found them anywhere else in 2012, either. I couldn't find any mention of them on AUGI in the on-line help, or in a quick web search. I only see them if I go to add a new parameter, and from the "Common" Discipline, choose <Family Type...> as the Type of Parameter. When the dialog box comes up where you select the category for the families you want to nest, you can select "Hardware" and these other categories.

Does anyone know what these are for? Are they categories that we aren't supposed to know about yet, that are planned for future releases? If I create a door family with nested hardware families, is all my work going to have to be re-done in a few months when some kind of new "Hardware" category is released? Is there some "Hardware" category hidden inside some special editing environment that I'm not familiar with, or nested within some other type? Are they categories that are used internally in Revit somehow?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Hardware" and other categories?

I seem to remember someone saying (Maybe on Inside the Factory?) that they decided to add those categories in 2012 in preparation for possible future stair improvements.
    Can't find the link now, tho.