Thread: 2D Symbology

Login to Give a bone

Default 2D Symbology

Ive searched the forum. Im preparing our 2012 Revit Template to be more up to par with AutoCAD now that Ive gotten some free time to work on it. Ive done a lot already in regards to systems, pipe types, some "pre-loaded" families. But this is what Im struggling with, 2d Symbology for valves.

I know there are a few ways to do 2d symbology. Those options are draw the symbol with model or symbolic lines within the family and the second is to bring in an annotation family. A lot of the out of the box revit valves have 2d symbology and fall into the first option. Some of them match our current standards, but some of them dont. Here are my issues with each.

Model/Symbolic Lines

When drawn on say the 2' diameter symbol, it looks great, but change the family to type to something else, like 1/2" the symbology you drew gets smaller or larger depending on what family type you have "active". So each pipe size will have a different size symbol. This is NOT GOOD!

Annotation Symbol

Annotation symbols are probably the quickest way to achieve your symbolic goal if they are made already. They just need to be the size you want them and scaling is done automatically depending on the view scale. Although the scaling is good, the symbol is still bigger than where the connectors are thus putting some pipe "underneath" the symbol. This isnt good when the symbol is suppose to "break into" the pipe.

So my question, given either option above, or both, how do I get the symbol to be the same size regardless of pipe size and view scale? Most of our AutoCAD 2D Symbols have solid hatching which I can do with the annotation, but not within the family.

Thanks
    Last edited by jpeckovitch608888; 2011-09-07 at 04:38 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2D Symbology

I did a lot of experimenting on this and I have found that the annotative nested family is the best solution for the size required at different scales.

I place a masking region within the Generic Annotation to cut the pipe display behind the annotative valve representation.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2D Symbology

Quote Originally Posted by drewj View Post
    I did a lot of experimenting on this and I have found that the annotative nested family is the best solution for the size required at different scales.

I place a masking region within the Generic Annotation to cut the pipe display behind the annotative valve representation.
    Thanks Drew. I think thats what I ultimately ended up figuring out as well the only difference is I added a filled region like our CAD Standards and added a line to remove any gaps if the symbol was slightly smaller than the connection points.