Thread: AUTOCAD RASTER IMAGES

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default AUTOCAD RASTER IMAGES

Hello! I have a question on inserting raster images into AutoCAD 2000.

I work from home in the Fire Alarm and Fire Suppression industry. I have a client who sent me a floor plan in Adobe PDF format. I changed it to a JPEG file and I need to bring it into AutoCAD so I can trace over it, showing the walls and door openings. I need to keep the scale the same as the picture; for instance, the length of one wall is 23'-4". I brought it in to CAD with a scale of 96, and architectural units 1/8"=1'-0" per his standards for a Fire Alarm Device location floor plan. My problem is; when I finished tracing over the drawing, the length of my wall is only 7-1/2". Anyone have any ideas? My client doesn't. Usually I just trace over drawings and don't worry about dimensions. It's not going to be used for an addition, it's a Fire Alarm drawing.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AUTOCAD RASTER IMAGES

After you've placed the jpeg into the dwg file, do a scale relative, picking one end of that 23'-4" wall as the base point, and using the length of the wall on screen as the first distance, then type in 23'4" as the second distance.

The scale factor of 96 used to bring in the jpeg is kinda meaningless. what you need to do is scale it up so that the dimensioned distance is the actual distance.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2011-09-20 at 03:32 PM. Reason: sp

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AUTOCAD RASTER IMAGES

Normally when you scan to image, it carries with it the actual size. say 8.5"x11" regardless of the resolution. Before Raster Image insertion, just make sure your Insertion units (UNITS command) is set to Inches and inserting the image to scale 1, you will have the exact size of the scanned document. (8.5 acad units x 11 acad units). Now if the drawing in the scanned image is for example 1:12, scale the image to scale factor of 12 and you will have the actual dimensions.

In your situation, we can't be sure if the pdf is in the right scale (could be scaled to fit) and paper size, and we cant be sure how did you convert it to pdf. Some converters resets the resolution to 72dpi, losing its paper size in the process. So, the best solution is to scale it with reference as what cadtag suggested.

on a side note, I don't know if your version of autocad is capable of making a pdf underlay. Its better than tracing a jpeg. If the pdf is still in vector format, you can use object snaps on the pdf drawing.
    Last edited by arshiel88; 2011-09-21 at 10:23 AM.