Thread: Desperately Need Course on COGO

Unhappy Desperately Need Course on COGO

I work for surveyors. We started out using Eagle Point for our COGO software, eight years ago. Then they went brain dead and we refused to switch to their latest version about seven years ago. Believe it or not, we are STILL working with our old original Eagle Point software, and ACAD 14. We have OWNED ACAD 2002, 2004 and now Civil 3D/ACAD 2005. I use it, very minimally, but my boss refuses to waste his time on it until we (or someone) can SHOW him how to do all the COGO stuff with (at this point) Civil 3D. I don't blame him.

We need a class in doing COGO stuff in Civil 3D desperately. Points, and how to import them; inversing points; angle right; using back stations; annotating lines; controling CAD settings (like layers) for node attributes (number, elevation and description); and so forth.
    Last edited by ccallen; 2005-02-01 at 04:26 PM.

100 Club

Default Re: Desperately Need Course on COGO

I second this suggestion. Autodesk just announced they were discontinuing Civil Design as of Jan 15 leaving Civil 3D as their only Civil Design software. The learning curve with this package is quite steep and there are several problems involved in using it along with the current Land Desktop software. The Civil 3D forum is starting to become active with requests for help as the latest release is starting to be used for production.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

I agree 100%. I work for a construction surveying firm and have a boss that is stuck on Traverse P.C. He will not switch to the civil 3d unless all the Cogo tools are easily accessible. I have taken the training course on the civil 3d and it is very basic. They just teach you how to get around the software and then throw you out there. There is a desperate need for some specific training on the civil 3d. I am getting nervous, I think they are forgetting about the surveyors!

Quote Originally Posted by srsherrill
    Autodesk just announced they were discontinuing Civil Design as of Jan 15 leaving Civil 3D as their only Civil Design software.
    Can you supply a URL to this announcement? Thanks.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar

This is from the FAQ's on the Civil 3D website:

1.3 Is Autodesk Civil 3D a replacement for Autodesk Land Desktop with Autodesk Civil Design?

Autodesk Civil 3D 2005 is not a complete replacement for Autodesk Land Desktop and Autodesk Civil Design. Autodesk plans to continue to support Autodesk Land Desktop and Autodesk Civil Design. Autodesk Civil 3D is ready for use on production projects and has many new features, including model-based road design, grading, and parcel layout. However, there are some functionality gaps between Autodesk Civil 3D and the Autodesk Land Desktop/Autodesk Civil Design solution.

Autodesk recommends using Civil 3D with Land Desktop and Civil Design where functionality gaps exist and the programs were designed to allow users to “round-trip” data. For example, use Autodesk Civil Design for projects that require sewer and storm drain design or drafting. Because there is not yet a survey add-on product for Civil 3D 2005, use Autodesk Land Desktop and Autodesk® Survey to move survey data to and from the field. Autodesk Civil 3D includes tools to both import and export Autodesk Land Desktop project data, so that the products can be used together smoothly.

1.4 Are Autodesk Land Desktop or Civil Design being discontinued?
    Both Land Desktop and Civil Design will continue to be available through Autodesk. Land Desktop will be available for sale as a standalone product and is also included as companion to Civil 3D and Civil 3D Professional. Civil Design will only be available as a component of the Civil 3D Professional package and will no longer be available for purchase as a standalone product after Jan 14, 2005.

I think the handout was misread.