See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Pull Schedule

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Post Pull Schedule

So I was reading the Turner Construction Website Project Portfolio and they had described how they used a pull schedule to complete the project.

Not knowing what a pull schedule was, I instantly googled it. I didn't find any great answer to what it was. I saw a very vague video on pull scheule but I think I'm still lost.

I think it is the process of speeding up your schedule so that you have time for delays factored into your schedule so that you meet your anticipated milestones.

Can somebody verify this for me and pass on some information about how to learn more about this?

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Pull Schedule

I have a large building being built on the site I'm on now that Turner is the contractor on. It might be a while because they're still trying to bring thier contractors on for the project... IF there are any contractors left to work in the SouthWest USA. We've pretty much got them all tied up on the other 6 buildings we're building on this site..

Next time I see them, I'll see if they can tell me what it involves..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

A pull plan is taking the hard dates for submittal (etc.) and pulling backwards to determine what time is needed for each task and from what discipline to meet that date.
    This is often done on a giant white board and also with sticky notes.

Example (with fictitious dates and stuff)

To submit to OSHPD on 12 15 11 the Architect needs the prepared trade submittal drawings 2 weeks before the submittal date for collating and copying. ADD A STICK NOTE SHOWING THE BLOCKED OUT DATES.

The trades need one week to prepare the drawings for submittal to the Architect. ADD A STICKY NOTE SHOWING THE BLOCKED OUT DATES.

The trades need 2 weeks to coordinate crop circle sphere of influence and supplemental steel. ADD A STICKY NOTE SHOWING THE BLOCKED OUT DATES.

The trades need 2 weeks to coordinate seismic hangers. ADD A STICKY NOTE SHOWING THE BLOCKED OUT DATES.

You continue to pull dates backwards while adjusting all of them to fit into the time allotted from the start of the project to the submittal date.

This process includes all processes, procedures, procurement of equipment (lag time) etc.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

So you basically open a calender, find your due date; then work the timings backwards for all your processes? Then hopefully your not past the current date yet.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Correct, but there is no "if".
    You will be directed to compress durataions and to assign additional staff to meet the end date of the schedule.

Trust me, it is a very extensive process that takes a good amount of involvement from each discipline.

Perk