Thread: Dynamic Blocks, Visibility at various drawing scales

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Blocks, Visibility at various drawing scales

Hi all,
    I was wondering if it is possible to create a dynamic block with 2 visibility states that could display two levels of detail -akin to showing less info at a small scale, and more info at a larger scale - depending on the intent of the drawing (i.e. viewport).

I have a window sash block for use in 1/4" plans that shows only basic size and shape of the sash. But, I want to XREF the plan into another drawing to use for creation of 3" jamb details. the block was created to have visibility states, but so far it is only useful if I insert the block into each file independently. I also understand that using different layers is an optional way to deal with this situation, but I am looking for a way to make use visibility states features.

I have been using Revit for several years, and have gotten used to the idea that I can display different information depending on what level of detail that I set a view to display, or even to hide information until a specific scale range has been activated (i.e. will not display at scales smaller than 1-1/2"=1'-0").

I am using ACAD LT 2011. Has ACAD implemented this type of working yet? Any input would be appreciated - however, I do not want to go into comparing programs in this thread. thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Blocks, Visibility at various drawing scales

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if it is possible to create a dynamic block with 2 visibility states that could display two levels of detail -akin to showing less info at a small scale, and more info at a larger scale - depending on the intent of the drawing (i.e. viewport).

I have a window sash block for use in 1/4" plans that shows only basic size and shape of the sash. But, I want to XREF the plan into another drawing to use for creation of 3" jamb details. the block was created to have visibility states, but so far it is only useful if I insert the block into each file independently. I also understand that using different layers is an optional way to deal with this situation, but I am looking for a way to make use visibility states features.

I have been using Revit for several years, and have gotten used to the idea that I can display different information depending on what level of detail that I set a view to display, or even to hide information until a specific scale range has been activated (i.e. will not display at scales smaller than 1-1/2"=1'-0").

I am using ACAD LT 2011. Has ACAD implemented this type of working yet? Any input would be appreciated - however, I do not want to go into comparing programs in this thread. thanks.
    Hi there.

I'm going to move your post from AutoCAD General to Dynamic Blocks - Technical, as I believe it will be better served here.

Be sure to check out the 'similar threads' feature toward the bottom of the page.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

No way to do that in ACad (much less LT). This is a feature in Revit though (having 3 levels of detail - Course, Medium & Fine). The only work-around I can think of is to draw your DB using a set of layers and VPFreeze the more detailed where not needed.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Is there a reason to not just create two completely different sets of entities; i.e.one for each Vis State?
    I do that with doors where essentially I have 10 blocks (Vis States) in one DynBlk. You could still carry multiple Parameter / Actions across the Vis State for common items if need be.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by clshade View Post
    Is there a reason to not just create two completely different sets of entities; i.e.one for each Vis State?
    I do that with doors where essentially I have 10 blocks (Vis States) in one DynBlk. You could still carry multiple Parameter / Actions across the Vis State for common items if need be.
    I took detailed information and created a visibility state for that info. At the moment, all things in all Vis States reside on the same layers - so it sounds like creating new layers is needed - but, the users did not like the way it looked. They wanted to XREF the floor plan which contains the block into a detail drawing and then have the "detail" information show up. the only way to make that happen was to go into the plan, and change the Vis State of all the blocks - which of course, defeated my purpose of removing the detail info from the small scale drawing.

the way to deal with this would be to also insert the block into the detail drawing and change the Vis State there, but then I get a slew of remarks about why that is not efficient, or preferable, or whatever. Hence, my wish to have detail setting features embedded in the block (i.e. do not display at scales smaller than x"=1'-0").

Is there a way to control Vis Settings like in a XREF like what can be done with View Port overrides?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Lookup Tables can call Vis States based on some Parameters.
    Without testing I'm not sure a Linear Parameter tied to a Scale can be used to do so.
    And this is not the Scale you were looking to use anyway.

But along those lines - If one of the Parameters physically get shorter it may be possible to use it to call a Vis State from a Lookup Table

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

From your description, it seems you'd need to go with the Layer's route. There's no way to have visibility states change through an xref. The only things which you can change through xrefs is layers.

As for using 2 (or more) lookup tables to match to a hidden VS with a huge quantity of states. That's probably your easiest way to get around making the selection of VS less difficult. I.e. you have 2 settings to change, but from that it would accomodate into the correct single VS setting. Though it would still just change the VS for the block in totality - i.e. the same VS would be displayed on plan as well as detail (in your scenario).