See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: SECTION Vs VIEW

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default SECTION Vs VIEW

I just wanted some confirmation from the AUGI community on this, because I feel like I am going insane.
    (I don't need confirmation on my insanity that's already known)

Someone who shall remain nameless, continually asks me to change the titles of images from "SECTION" to "VIEW".

My understanding (to Australian Standards) is that a SECTION can be cut from an elevation, plan, detail or view.

Where-as a VIEW should only be used when calling out a SECTION of a SECTION.

Am I correct, or is the un-named one?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: SECTION Vs VIEW

Umm.
    My understanding is that a section shows only objects that are cut by a section plane whereas a view shows everything visible when looking in a stated direction and which may or may not include objects cut by a section plane. A view that does include sectioned objects is a "view on ..." as opposed to a "view in direction of ..."

but I'm not certain.

Login to Give a bone

I don't know about Aussi standards, and I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by changing the name from "section" to "view" but what I understand a view to be is:

Views are what is visible if you were standing there looking at it as labled: "Floor Plan", "Interior Elevation", "Reflected Ceiling Plan" "Detail" etc. You could argue there could be a "Section" too, because when you cut it, that's what you're looking at (?).

We don't ususally label anything with the word "view" except sometimes on a detail we'll put "PLAN VIEW" to clarify what you're looking at it.

I know in mechanical drafting have "Front View", "Top View", "Side View" (etc) and you can create an "Auxillary View" to show an skewed area of a part with it's true geometry.

Does that help or am I way off base here (which is possible)?

All AUGI, all the time Richard McDonald's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I can only state what I was taught,

Section = That which is cut by the line indicated on the plan and nothing else.
    Sectional Elevation = The section indicated by the line and anything visible behind that line.
    Developed section = a cut line that changes direction.

Elevation = the Entire front/side view of an object.

Veiw = detailed elevation in greater detail than the elevation or to highlight a difficult area.

With all that said if the person requesting the change is your boss he's right.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Statler View Post
    With all that said if the person requesting the change is your boss he's right.
    Exactly. Doesn't matter if it violates "accepted" drawing standards, if its the company or client standard thats what gets done. If changing it to View is against company standards there better be a good reason for it (like the boss indicating "Because I say so") and everybody on the project should be doing the same thing.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

I totaly agree with jaberwok's "view".
    On the other hand, if the guy is your boss or the client you work for, you have no much choice.
    Otherwise I would say what your understanding is right.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

It is the boss yes.
    Hence why I do it, and suck it up, however was just wondering on the general thoughts on the topic.
    I do find it frustrating when someone who is not a drafter tells me I'm doing it wrong (when I'm actually not)

As for the section cutting ONLY the line it shows thru, I don't entirely agree. It's not unusual to show members beyond, even Revit cuts a section where you can set a "depth" to the section...

Anyways, in general the responses confirmed what I meant in the OP, and yes it is the boss, however he does that against the company standard, my opinion is "If thats what you want, then thats what you get" however it is also "due dilligence" to inform them that its not really an industry standard...thats also part of my job...not arguing with him, but to point out how it is actually "supposed" to be....

Thanks for the input anyways.