Thread: Autocad layer standards

Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad layer standards

Hi
    I am upgrading to Autocad 2012 and would like some recommendations on how to deal with layer standards. With my old R14 Autocad I had a customized set of layers and layerscripts. I never had to set up my own standards before and would like some recommendations.

Do you recommend going with the AIA version 3 layers and plot with AIA 256. ctb file. I am going with color based plotting styles. Do I have to manually add all the AIA layers or can I copy them from somewhere?

Sissela

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad layer standards

I'm not going to comment on AIA, or NCS layers, etc. - That is for you to determine based on the clients with which you work, the industry you're in, and any potential sub-consultants with whom you send receive CAD files. Although, if you were to provide some of that information perhaps someone can better offer you suggestions.
    Cadtag will surely find this post! *wink* LoL
    I will, however, try to help you with the process so-to-speak. It sounds like you already have a standard (if not more than one) currently. The simplest solution is for you to take a drawing / template from your earlier release (one which includes the desired layers), and open it with 2012, and save it as a 2012 template.

Separately, if you only have the one template, then setting your profile to use this newly created template for all new drawings created. If you have multiple templates, then consider if it would be better to simply store them all in one location to select as needed for new drawings, or if it would be more efficient for your work flow to have a profile for each (this is often done for multiple clients that have their own standard(s)).

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Wha kind of work you do, and who you work with are important factors in determining what, if any, standard will work best for you. However, that said, I would _not_ choose to follow NCS 3, for the basic reason that NCSv4 superseded 3 a number ofyears ago, and v5 has been current/available for the past year.

Of course, if you have clients or work closely with organizations that require v3, that's a different can of worms.

If you are thinking about NCS, it's probably important to understand some of the rationale behind it. Primarily, it is designed to address facilities, be they roads, houses, subdiviions, office buildings, or shopping centers. If your use of cad is for manufacturing widgets, cars, circuit boards, or space shuttles, then I dont' see NCS as being useful. (If anyone in the manufacturing world does use NCS layering, I'ld be very interested in hearing about it.

Secondly, the purpose of the NCS layers is collaboration and cooperation, both between disciplines and between organizations. NCS requires a bit more complexity in layer naming, but the trade-off is that those layers are more understandable to someone who is working in another area.

And thirdly, NCS layering is based on Systems and Ownership. Ownership is this context would be the Discipline code, e.g. which discipline is responsble for that data. Systems are a conceptual way of thinking about what elements belong together, and are essentially the Major Group codes.

And let's not forget that layer naming is only one part of the NCS -- the UDS (Uniform Drawing System) is a major and very valualbe components of NCS.

Login to Give a bone

Did I call it or what, that Cadtag would find this thread!?!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Have you considered the AEC convention?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Something else to consider Sissela, is that certain programs have the NCS Layers built-in. Note the NCS Layers are based on the AIA Layers, and as such they are included as part of the AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD MEP products. As a result, Layer standarization is automatic when using these programs. Users can change the built-in standards, but I typically recommend against it. Also, Revit can export to AutoCAD utilizing the same AIA Layer standards, so there is a good chance that you'll eventually run into drawings that contain those Layers in the future if you haven't already. If you are using the NCS/AIA Layers at that point, you'll be that much further ahead if you've adopted them as well

Another point to make is that the NCS is a G-U-I-D-E, and is not necessarily intended to be the Holy Grail. However, in my 25+ years in the AEC industry, I've found that some form of the NCS/AIA Layers to be in use, especially by larger companies. To that end, it is my opinion to roll with what the majority of the industry is using. Reinventing the wheel is no fun, period. Plus if you do, you'll always have an uphill battle when collaborating with others.

HTH