Thread: Point Creation in UCS other than WCS and correct coordinate listing

Login to Give a bone

Default Point Creation in UCS other than WCS and correct coordinate listing

I am working on a dwg that has 2 coordinate systems
    the WCS and a UCS (named "MTK")

Both systems exist and are valid, but the stake out during construction works utilizes the "MTK"CS

When I create a point, even if I am in the "MTK"CS, the point list will show the WCS points coordinates
    which are of no use to me since the topographic network is based on the MTK CS.

Is there a way to show and export (this is the most important) the points' "MTK"CS coordinates? (or coordinates in both CSs and choose...???)

this is an excerpt from the "Specifying Units and Zone Settings" of "Getting started"

<<The AutoCAD Civil 3D coordinate system is always relative to the AutoCAD World Coordinate System (WCS). Northing is equivalent to AutoCAD Y and Easting is equivalent to AutoCAD X.

AutoCAD Civil 3D object data is always presented in AutoCAD World Coordinate System coordinates. For example, the alignment data in the Alignment Entities vista in the Panorama window is listed in world coordinates. In addition, the AutoCAD Civil 3D transparent commands are based on the AutoCAD World Coordinate System. However, when you create an object and have an AutoCAD User Coordinate System (UCS) defined, the UCS is honored when you specify locations, which means that an insertion point or a coordinate is interpreted relative to the UCS.>>

What is meant by "the UCS is honored when you specify locations, which means that an insertion point or a coordinate is interpreted relative to the UCS." ?

Can anyone think of a workaround? using it as an xref to a new dwg perhaps?
    Last edited by SurveyorHead; 2011-11-06 at 07:03 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Point Creation in UCS other than WCS and correct coordinate listing

I don't exactly know what you mean by the fact that you have a UCS system that "exists and is valid", but I can take a guess...

You basically can't use a UCS in C3D for any purpose other than aligning text and labels. In fact, we avoid a UCS almost entirely, in favor of DView TWist (although we have a third-party tool that lets us add things like MLeaders and MText that aligns with the DView TWist, so that lets us avoid a UCS in many situations where others might use a UCS). There is another school of thought that likes to use a UCS in paperspace, but always leaves modelspace in WCS.

If you have two coordinate systems that you want to equate, Civil 3D's approach for that task is to use the Transformation Tab. Although I should warn that the Tranformation Tab is not very intuitive, and actually has several completely nonsensical settings, so it's not the easiest thing to figure out how to use.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Point Creation in UCS other than WCS and correct coordinate listing

Quote Originally Posted by sinc View Post
    I don't exactly know what you mean by the fact that you have a UCS system that "exists and is valid", but I can take a guess...
    The base plan was based on a system which is a National Coordinate System (a bit old though - not currently used in Greece [not existing in the transformation tab settings]) shown as WCS
    For the construction works to take place a new local system was founded "MTK" (don't ask me why, I am wondering too!)
    Of course there is a known relation between these two.

Thank you for your time - I'll have a look at it